Vaginal Lasers and Skin Tightening
Vaginal Laser Therapy (Mona Lisa Touch technology) is an increasingly popular alternative to Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT creams) and/or Vaginal Surgery to correct for skin laxity (loose skin), vaginal atrophy (skin thinning as we age) and vaginal canal dryness after pregnancy, illness treatments or menopause.
- Vaginal lasers can even help prevent problems associated with painful sex by reducing discomfort during intercourse.
- It’s also a potentially good option for reducing mild urinary incontinence or stress-related bladder leakage
- Some women also find it a great solution for labia tightening or vaginal skin tightening due to rejuvenation of skin functions and skin thickness/collagen levels
Vaginal Dryness and Laser Therapies: Do vaginal lasers work?
Up to a third of all Melbourne women have likely heard about the latest in vaginal rejuvenation treatments, known as vaginal laser tightening or vaginal laser rejuvenation.
- This treatment works by using quality CO2 laser equipment to improve the health of tissues in and around the vaginal canal and/or labia
- It can help tighten skin, re-stimulate cellular turnover and improve natural moisture levels as well as increase vaginal tissue thickness
- All of these changes can help to reduce discomfort during intercourse (painful sex)
In this blog, originally published December 2016 and updated in January 2019, we discuss how Vaginal Laser Treatments works to improve some of the distressing symptoms that frequently occur after giving birth or passing through menopause.
- Be sure to click here to open our companion blog, 7 Way Vaginal Lasers MIGHT help Improve your Sex life
- That will provide more information on how vaginal laser treatments specifically improve COMFORT during sexual intimacy, which can help make sex less uncomfortable and/or more pleasurable
Has having babies – or going through Menopause – ruined your sex life and your continence confidence?
The MonaLisa Touch Vaginal Laser treatment option is a treatment well worth exploring.
It’s especially helpful for women who’s sex life was impacted by vaginal concerns or mild incontinence after having babies OR by vaginal dryness caused by menopause or cancer treatment side effects.
- The most popular treatments today for vaginal laxity, vaginal atrophy and lubrication losses use advanced vaginal laser technology.
- These vaginal rejuvenation or ’tissue tightening/vaginal skin tightening’ treatments use high-end lasers (which rely on highly-focused light beams) to help rejuvenate and stimulate cellular turnover and collagen production in the treated skin Harvard reference
- Be sure you ask about the treatment details and assess if this is right for you – it could be very worth a try if you suffer from uncomfortable vaginal concerns or vaginal area symptoms stemming from pregnancy or menopause
CO2 Lasers such as MonaLisa Touch can help revitalise and rejuvenate the skin and tissues in, and around, the vaginal canal.
For suitable candidates, it often helps:
- improve vaginal lubrication (vaginal dryness is a common complaint after menopause or radiation treatments, but MonaLisa Touch can help)
- improve vaginal skin collagen and improve skin resiliency or elasticity (skin revitalisation and vaginal rejuvenation that improves skin texture)
- reduce vaginal skin laxity
- tighten and revitalise skin in the vaginal canal
- firm and tighten the labial skin
- reduce urinary stress incontinence (*mild incontinence only; may not suit all patients suffering incontinence)
- reduce incidences of painful intercourse
- improve sexual relationships and potentially improve sexual pleasure (some women note improved orgasms as well as feeling their vaginal and labial skin have improved with laser treatments)
- effective treat and reduce dyspareunia
What’s the big mystery about the MonaLisa smile, and was the MonaLisa Laser for vaginal rejuvenation named after the famous painting?
BENEFITS of Vaginal Laser Treatments
MonaLisa Touch Laser treatments for vaginal tightening or dermal tissue rejuvenation
The famous Mona Lisa painting by Da Vinci is world renowned. Sometimes she looks as if she’s smiling and sometimes she looks as if she’s not, and debates continue to what her expression means – mysterious, secretive or secretly elated.
Researchers have been said to have cracked the code on the Mona Lisa smile of Da Vinci’s painting. It appears that your perception of her smile depends on your position when you’re viewing the painting.
You can look at the painting facing the artwork straight on, or you can look at the painting at a 40-degree angle (to the left or to the right).You can also view the painting from up close or farther away. Each position gives you a different view of the smile, showing Leonardo da Vinci’s mastery of the artistic technique that keeps you guessing.
But there’s another Mona Lisa secret you should know about….and that’s the laser treatment revolutionising vaginal treatments for some forms of mild urinary incontinence, vaginal laxity (loose skin), dryness and/or painful intercourse.
It’s called the Mona Lisa Touch treatment – a relatively new light-based high-tech laser treatment called the Mona Lisa Touch Vaginal Tightening procedure.
Is Your MonaLisa Smile Sad or Happy?
Dyspareunia: Vaginal laser treatments CAN be effective for treating painful sex by reducing dryness and improving skin quality and lubrication in that region.
Effective Treatment for Dyspareunia: MonaLisa Touch Vaginal Lasers can reduce painful intercourse and improve natural lubrication
MonaLisa Touch Vaginal Laser Treatments: Perhaps this increasingly popular option for treating vaginal laxity, stress incontinence or painful intercourse was named after Mona Lisa’s smile because you may feel like a Mona Lisa about your vaginal area once you’ve had it done.
** Painful sex can be treated by vaginal lasers and for some patients this could be a good solution. See Dr Tina Purdon for assessment of this treatment option and more information on vaginal laser treatments with the top vaginal laser, MonaLisa Touch, by phoning 0388491444 and asking for Dr Purdon.
Vaginal Lasers: How Treatments Work (Procedure Details)
- You’ll need a series of at least 3 to get the best results, along with occasional maintenance sessions on approximately a yearly basis.
- The treatment itself takes about 15 to 25 minutes or less.
- It involves a tubular laser handset to be inserted into the vaginal canal, and short ‘bursts’ of light energy – in the form of laser – creating small channels in the vaginal canal tissues.
- It usually doesn’t hurt most patients BUT the area needs to be thoroughly dry during treatment; that bit can be uncomfortable.
- Sometimes if the labia skin is treated as well as the canal, that may feel a bit painful for a very brief second while the laser works.
- The area MAY be sensitive for a few days but most patients report it’s not overly uncomfortable.
- You’ll need to avoid exercise and certain activities for a few days after each treatment.
How long does it take to see good results from a Vaginal Laser Treatment?
- One treatment is NOT enough.
- You need ideally at least 3 treatments – about a month apart- and sometimes a few more treatments – before seeing noticeable results.
- That’s because the tissues need time to respond (rejuvenate) to the laser channels created by the laser head.
How does a vaginal laser rejuvenate the vaginal skin or re-lubricate and thicken or tighten the canal?
- The healing response stimulates more collagen and essentially ‘re-inspired’ the skin to become stronger and/or thicker and more lubricated again.
- Allow 3 months, to 4-6 months for some patients, for best results from the vaginal laser including:
- potentially TIGHTENING the vaginal area skin that became lax after pregnancy/vaginal delivery AND/OR
- rejuvenating the vaginal area moisture levels that became excessively dry after experiencing menopause or other hormonal changes AND/OR
- reducing mild urinary incontinence related to laxness in the skin or surrounding areas
How can I expect?
We’ve heard of patients who were so thrilled with the results that they stopped keeping the treatments a secret; and began sharing the details with their best friends. We know of others who were distressed before having the treatment series, primarily due to having to use hormonal creams on such a frequent basis, or because they experienced painful sex (dyspareunia).
What are the RISKS of vaginal laser treatments?
- Laser treatments for vaginal skin are powerful and there are risks, which will be covered in a consultation (as your risks may be different to another patient’s risks).
- Vaginal lasers and labia skin tightening using laser technology should only be performed by a trained Doctor (such as Dr Tina Purdon, a women’s health GP) – not by a beauty clinician or less trained staff.
- While some other laser technology – including cheaper versions of these types of vaginal lasers – have NOT been shown to actually be effective, MonaLisa Touch is one of the most reputable and proven laser technology systems available today.
- Although some RISKS are involved in any procedure that uses a laser, find out the BALANCE of RISKS versus BENEFITS of vaginal laser treatments by having an assessment for suitability of the procedure and understanding what the laser vaginal treatments MAY be able to accomplish for YOU.
Studies about RISK of vaginal laser continue. However, most professionals and medical boards indicate informed choices are important – AND understanding the real potential benefits of proven laser equipment for vaginal rejuvenation – such as the MonaLisa Touch system – compared to less proven equipment and cheaper models – is a good step for patients exploring their options and resources for vaginal skin improvements.
Or you may be discussing the matter with your spouse or partner, who tells you he or she loves you for who you are, and has never noticed the difference.
But if you’re wanting to find a solution for vaginal dryness, lack of vaginal tone (vaginal laxity such as is common after giving birth), and bladder control issues that result from ageing, you definitely want to consider MonaLisa Touch treatments.
If your sex life or vaginal comfort is coming between you and your partner, you might want to try the MonaLisa Touch vaginal laser solution for common vaginal concerns including laxity, atrophy, dryness, laxity (skin texture or looseness including labia skin), mild incontinence or painful sex (Dyspareunia).
Do vaginal laser treatments hurt? Pain or discomfort is typically minimal and the treatment is fast.
- Typically the treatment with MonaLisa Touch laser technology is relatively comfortable versus painful because much of the vaginal canal skin doesn’t contain nerve endings.
- If your Doctor is treating labia skin for mild tightening or textural rejuvenation, this area may sting for a very short time during or just after the laser treatment.
- In general, you’ll be impressed and surprised with how well tolerated – e.g., how free from discomfort or pain – most vagina laser treatments are to have in our Clinic (plus HOW QUICKLY the treatment is over).
How do you care for the vaginal area or labia after having laser treatment(s)?
- You’ll want to ‘gently pat’ dry the area for a few days
- Do NOT use harsh soaps or other products or scented products or rough clothing in the area; use clean, soft undergarments made of natural fabrics.
- Avoid strenuous exercise or very tight undergarments
- Follow your Doctor’s instructions.
Results of Vaginal Laser Treatments using MonaLisa Touch
Some results of vaginal laser rejuvenation or vaginal tightening may even be noticed within just a few days.
Typically, however, to experience the full effects of the vaginal laser treatments, you’ll need to wait about 3 months of your treatment series. A series of treatments is typically at minimum of 3 MonaLisa Touch treatments, scheduled about one month apart.
Find out more by booking a no-obligation assessment with our female health GP, who can advise you if you are a suitable candidate for Mona Lisa Touch Treatments. Send an enquiry form below or phone us during clinic hours on (03) 8849 1444.
Dr Tina Purdon is our Women’s Health Physician for Vaginal Laser Treatments using the Australian approved MONA LISA TOUCH LASER TECHNOLOGY to reduce lax skin and improve vaginal canal lubrication, tissues and skin texture.
What to know about non-surgical vaginal treatments: Every woman is different and your response to treatment may not be identical to another woman’s responses, but our case studies and the research behind MonaLisa Touch’s vaginal laser system shows this is an effective and worthwhile treatment for many women.
These laser treatments appear to work best when the vaginal skin is tightened or rejuvenated using the MonaLisa Touch system by obtaining a 5 minute to 10 minute treatment session on a monthly to 6 week basis, for at least three sessions over three to four months, with annual laser “maintenance sessions” required for sustaining rejuvenation results over time.
- You’ll also likely be interested to know how readily you see results – in as little as three month’s time!
- Some patients even notice results right after the first or second treatment.
Vaginal Tightening with the MonaLisa Touch Treatment
Mona Lisa Touch Vaginal Tightening is an option to help change the dynamics of your MonaLisa smile to more frequently happy or content about your vaginal skin and/or your sex life.
It’s a procedure that uses a laser meant for the vaginal tissues (and similar technology for facial rejuvenation, only specifically altered to treat the vaginal area).
Just as a laser treatment can effectively rejuvenate the skin on your face, the MonaLisa Touch Vaginal Tightening procedure can rejuvenate and tighten your vaginal tissues as well as the skin (labia) around your vaginal area.
However, with a facial skin laser such as Fraxel or DOT Therapy, you’ll likely have to suffer downtime, peeling and a bit of redness.
NOT SO with vaginal laser treatments.
The down time doesn’t happen with the Mona Lisa technique. In fact, you won’t even need a numbing agent (there is minimal if any pain in the vaginal area during treatment, although the labia – when treated – may be more sensitive, and some numbing cream may be used for that outer area for some patients).
The only uncomfortable part of the MonaLisa Touch vaginal laser treatment is that the vaginal area needs to be ‘swabbed’ to create a dry skin surface inside the vagina for the actual laser treatment. The treatment itself is not uncomfortable, and it takes about 5 minutes once you’ve had an assessment and medical history taken (about 30 to 45 minutes plus paperwork) – but the treatment may not be suitable for all women and you’ll want to ask about potential contraindications.
VAGINAL LASER TREATMENTS – METHODS and Technology
How MonaLisa Touch Vaginal Lasers work for vaginal tightening and skin rejuvenation
- The laser is attached via a six-inch probe that is inserted into the vagina.
- The vagina is long and cylindrical and the laser focuses on only the vaginal tissues.
- It is withdrawn slowly, and turned, targeting all the sides of the vagina on the way out.
- There is no pain with the procedure although if you want your labia treated as well as the canal, that area may be a bit sensitive.
- You may want to ‘pat dry’ the area for a few days and avoid strenuous exercise or tight undergarments (ask our female health GP for best post-treatment protocols).
The laser creates fractional CO2 ‘dots’ that hit the vagina in a 360-degree arc. Each ‘dot’ is perceived by the body as a skin wake-up call. Dormant fibrocytes are activated and change into fibroblasts.
Collagen molecules and an approved temporary-filler-solution as well as proteoglycan molecules are synthesized in the area and ‘beef’ it up.
The proteoglycans hold water in the tissue, as does an approved temporary-filler-solution. New blood vessels and nerves form and then the tissue becomes rejuvenated or revitalised again. It’s well essentially more firmly structured again, internally and at most dermal levels, which results in a tightening of the tissue or skin.
Your mucosal cells often regenerate, too.
What Type of Results are Seen in the Vaginal Laser / Vaginal Rejuvenation Studies?
Here are some of the results of the Mona Lisa Touch procedure:
For vaginal atrophy, there’s improvement in three sessions (three treatments) scheduled about a month apart:
- 48% improvement in vaginal dryness after Session 1 and 76% after Session 3
- 52% improvement in pain with intercourse after Session 1 and 72% after Session 3
- 40% improvement in vaginal laxity after Session 1 and 90% improvement after Session 3
- 55% improvement in burning sensations after Session 1 and 84% by Session 3
- 60% improvement in itching sensations after Session 1 and 85% resolution after Session 3
For urinary symptoms, there’s improvement in three sessions:
- 69% improvement in dysuria
- 69% improvement in urinary urgency
- 56% improvement in urge incontinence
- 58% improvement in stress urinary incontinence
You might have been thinking there is nothing that can be done for vaginal laxity or urinary symptoms that result from a hysterectomy or aging. But with the MonaLisa Touch Vaginal Tightening procedure, you don’t have to take hormone replacement for these types of changes in your body – and risk developing cancer later.
Let the vaginal tightening or vaginal or labia skin regeneration begin… and change your Mona Lisa smile from worried or sad to happy and content – and perhaps less incontinent!
(Note that MonaLisa laser treatments may not work for all women, but most report high satisfaction rates with the treatment, especially for laxity, mild urinary incontinence and dryness. Many women also note their sex lives improve after a treatment series. Please note that annual maintenance sessions may be required.)
VIDEO on Vaginal Laser Treatment methods and technology
How to find the best Vaginal Laser Doctors who use best-practice laser treatment protocols
- There are many vaginal lasers on the market; not all are proven to be effective.
- Also, not all doctors focus on using best-practice methods and high-quality equipment for vaginal laser treatments or vaginal and labia skin tightening.
At Coco Ruby, your safety and comfort is our number one priority for vaginal laser treatments at our Melbourne Australia clinic location.
FOR MORE INFORMATION about this treatment by our Coco Ruby team, call our office today (or send an Enquiry form, below) and schedule an appointment for a consultation with our Female Health GP Dr Tina Purdon.
Dr Purdon is a highly respected, caring and easy to talk with Women’s Health GP in Melbourne and Banyule.
Phone 0388491444 and ask to see our Women’s Health GP and Cosmetic Physician, Dr Tina Purdon.
Disclaimer and Patient Selection Information
Patient selection must be carefully considered; and patients need to understand that:
- results take time to be noticed
- you will need several treatments about a month apart as well as annual “laser effect maintenance” treatments to keep skin rejuvenated/functional
- ageing will have an impact on results as will other health conditions
- there will be variability in results – remember, not all patients will have the same outcomes
- not all patients are good candidates
- severe or moderate incontinence is unlikely to be helped with laser treatments but mild urinary stress incontinence may be improved
Note that NOT ALL vaginal lasers have the same levels of research or testing for efficacy.
This has led to concerns about some unscrupulous companies marketing certain technologies that MAY not be effective. More randomised, controlled trials of laser treatments for vaginal area concerns are recommended and ongoing. In our Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing Clinic, we have treated over 100 patients and have done case-study investigations on the effectiveness of using the very reputable C02 laser technology (The MonaLisa Touch Vaginal Laser System), a popular choice among evidence-based Australian GPs and Gynaecologists. This laser is, however, more expensive to purchase, use and OFFER patients than are cheaper lasers employed by smaller clinics or single doctors. But we are very comfortable with our choice of the MonaLisa Touch laser, and our patients provide high satisfaction reports on improving vaginal area concerns.
For information, contacts us today for a personal assessment of YOUR suitability as a good candidate AND to assess what it can do for you. Phone 0388491444.