Bikini season is finally approaching. So if you’re prone to gaining body fat over winter, read about FOUR methods for reducing excess body fat before summer. OR, if you have a BMI over 30 and are considering weight loss surgery, visit www.newbodyspecialists.com.au or call us and ask for an appointment with a Weight Loss Surgeon. Read on to discover FOUR different types of Fat Reduction Technologies (some of which are relatively NEW in Melbourne).
Beating the Belly Bulges
How to reduce fat via new Radio Frequency methods and New Fat Reduction Technology
From Liposuction to Encurve RF to Double Chin Injections to Tummy Tuck Surgery – how to get your BIKINI body back in balance.
- DO you have areas of stubborn fat or flab?
- Do you find certain parts of your body simply don’t respond well enough to dieting, exercising or drinking a lot of water?
- Do you have excess skin or belly bulges after pregnancy?
- Is your Body Mass Index (BMI) ABOVE where your doctor thinks it should be?
If fat bulges won’t shift for you, despite your maintenance of a healthy weight and stable BMI, then it might be time to look into the latest bulge-busting options. Four types of fat reduction include:
- EnCurve RF (non-surgical)
- Liposuction (surgical but not as invasive as larger surgical incisions required for a Tummy Tuck)
- Double Chin FAT Reduction Injections (Double Chin Treatments using Cosmetic Injectables & Fat Melting Solutions)
- Tummy Tuck Surgery
Want help losing excess kilos? Read about Dr Arun Dhir’s Weight Change program.
Is fat reduction MORE important than simply wanting to look great in a swimming costume or bikini?
YES! fat reduction is important because FAT that accumulates around the waistline is detrimental to health.
Your WAIST-HIP ratio is also a key indicator to your overall health and disease risks.
The ubiquitous “problem areas” where excess fat accumulates can be dangerous. An unhealthy waist-hip ratio is linked with significant health risks (a large gut is linked with higher rates of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases).
- Are you wanting to discover the best forms of fat reduction for your tummy, arms, back, breasts or hips and thighs?
- Are you wondering if a Surgeon can redistribute fat via Autologous Fat Transfer (AFT) and Liposuction?
- Or perhaps you’re contemplating ENCURVE RF, or Liposuction, but wonder if you’re best off looking into a Tummy Tuck or Circumferential Abdominoplasty procedure, instead?
Read on to discover FOUR types of fat reduction processes, but know that only an in person consultation can determine what type of fat reduction will suit your body – and your goals – best.
Phone us now on 03 8849 1444 and ask for a confidential consultation or send an enquiry form (below this page) for further information.
FOUR types of fat removal that are currently popular for men and women who want to gain smoother, firmer and better looking body or jawline contours – fall into two primary categories: Surgical & Non-Surgical.
Fat reduction these days includes Surgical (cosmetic plastic surgery or liposuction) and non-surgical options (minimally invasive or non-invasive treatments, such as injections or other fat cell elimination technologies).
- Suitable patients can attain long-lasting fat cell reductions and sculpt their body, thighs, buttocks, arms, back or breasts with new technologies.
- You can even improve your facial or jawline contours by eliminating under chin fat with a series of cosmetic injections.
- Surgeons can redistribute or reduce the puffy-looking under-eye bags using Blepharoplasty/Canthoplasty surgery (or ask a Clinician about temporary dermal filler injections to reduce tear troughs).
There’s even BODY CONTOURING skin reduction surgery to reduce skin folds and residual fat, which can be particularly helpful after weight loss surgery (lap band or gastric bypass procedures).
But the KEY factor is shifting fat or reducing a belly bulge or tummy bulge is CHOOSING the RIGHT procedure.
Not all fat reduction procedures will be a match for what you’re wanting to accomplish. And sometimes, you can try something non-surgical (such as EnCurve) and get good results, but find you really need a Tummy Tuck because there’s excess skin folds that cannot be reduced without excisions. For the most part, factors such as YOUR SKIN’s resiliency, WHERE the fat has accumulated, HOW much FAT you’re wanting to reduce or shift, and your GENERAL health including BMI and lifestyle, all influence which procedure may work best for you. That’s why ONLY a consultation can provide you with the information needed to make an informed decision. Our team are experts at helping individuals get firmer contours back; especially after weight loss or pregnancy. And if the team at COCO RUBY can’t help you, they work closely with some of Melbourne’s top Plastic Surgeons who can.
So how DO you SHIFT fat & REDUCE body bulges in modern times?
What’s new and exciting in modern fat reduction or ‘fat melting’ technology.
Before we review your cosmetic body contouring choices, remember that the main way to get the body you want is to LIVE healthily and eat well (but not TOO many calories).
The obvious answer for fat reduction and body shaping – and the one most medical practitioners recommend – is the trilogy of health:
- exercise regularly
- eat healthily
- get enough sleep and staying active
- keep calm using meditation and mindfullness
Yes, reducing stress-related, emotionally reactive eating patterns helps a lot (this is also easier to accomplish if you eat right, sleep well and exercise regularly).
So you will ideally choose to live healthily and maintain a stable body weight and healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) to reduce bulges and excess fat.
In fact, this is the BASIC requirement of maintaining a healthy body no matter WHICH modern-day fat reduction option you choose.
Yet WHAT IF good Lifestyle Habits Don’t Get you the Body Shape or Ideal Weight you want?
Are your bulges getting the best of you?
- Even living well and exercising regularly won’t always shift your body fat, body mass index or muscle-to-fat ratio.
- Some people are also left with either stubborn fat bulges OR with bulges AND excess, redundant skin folds.
- Some genetic traits and hormonal changes can leave your body more heavy in certain areas (with fat accumulating in areas where other people don’t have bulges).
This is part of being human and it’s best if you learn to love your body as it comes. But you can still strive for a better figure or flatter belly if you’re keen to have a fitter, flatter look to the abdomen – or slimmer hips, arms and thighs, or smaller breasts.
Skin cannot be exercised; it must be excised. And often, as Body Contouring Surgeon Dr Maxwell is fond of saying, “weight loss can make you healthy; but it’s the skin reduction and body contouring is what tends to make weight loss patients happy.”
Of course, surgery is serious business and there’s no guarantee it will change your outlook at all.
But we hear from many post-Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss Surgery patients that they only felt ‘successful’ in their weight loss journeys AFTER their redundant skin folds were reduced via body contouring or tummy tuck and breast lift/breast reduction surgery.
Skin Folds require surgical intervention, but some excess fat can be removed with other means.
And awkwardly distributed fat stores or heavier than normal breasts can also cause chronic back, neck and shoulder pain and impede your posture.
- Skin folds or stubborn fat bulges are not only uncomfortable, they can impinge on your metabolism.
- Skin folds also impede your ability to continue with your exercise routines or may leave you feeling self-conscious at the gym.
- Skin folds can also lead to chronic skin infections or ‘flapping’ sounds when you walk.
- Even chaffing and bra strap ‘dig ins’ to the shoulder area are common when the body cannot adapt to heavy, excess tissues.
- Skin cannot be exercised so must be excised (surgically reduced).
Sometimes it seems that no matter what you seem to do – you simply won’t lose weight in the areas you’re wanting to achieve a smoother or fitter looking contour.
FOUR types of fat reduction are over-viewed below.
They essentially include:
- Non-surgical no-skin-touching technology known as enCurve RF body contouring treatments for ‘reduction of fat cells by heating the adipose cells for elimination)
- Surgical methods such as Breast Reduction, Arm Reduction and Thigh Reduction Surgery or a Tummy Tuck procedure with Liposuction
- Surgical methods such as Tumescent Liposuction as either a stand-alone procedure or a combined procedure with other types of body contouring surgery, or Liposuction combined with Autologous Fat Transfer or Fat Grafting – in other words, using fat removed via liposuction from your butt or thighs and repositioned to your face or your breasts to restore lost facial volume or slightly enhance your breast size or cleavage projection.
- Non-surgical methods such as Double Chin Injection Treatments for reducing under-chin neck area fat
But before we view the options to reduce love handles and other body bulges or belly fat….
How does time change our body fat cells?
- Body fat cells are often relatively stable through much of our lives, in relation to how many fat cells we have.
- However, fat cells may change in size (expansion) AND quantity (number) at different times of our lives.
- There is currently scientific debate about what happens to fat cells over time – essentially, this may vary from person to person.
In relation to NEW methods to destroy or eliminate fat cells – patient selection (suitability) is a key to getting a good result.
It gets harder to shift fat and maintain a good muscle-to-fat-ratio as we age.
This has led to the popularity of EnCurve RF and Tummy Tuck Surgery and Liposuction.
- Some people get thinner as they age, and faces can look gaunt on individuals who’s facial volume has atrophied over time.
- But most people living in abundant, developed countries get FATTER, not thinner, over time – at least, in their bodies.
- Fat accumulates in areas we wish it didn’t – and moves away from where we’d like it to stay (breasts and cheek areas, for example).
Why is it that we also look lumpier, frumpier, heavier and more wrinkled as we get older?
- Our hormones and our lifestyles are partially responsible for middle-age spread and sequential weight gain (5 or more kilos each year, often over the holiday period).
- Pregnancy, hormonal shifts, medication side effects and less lean muscle mass changes also leave us looking LESS fit or firm.
- Skin collagen deteriorates; skin sags and wrinkles and becomes ‘bumpy’ looking.
Our LIFESTYLE choices start adding up.
If we were blessed with a fast metabolism, and never learned to curb our appetites, suddenly the weight starts piling on after – say – menopause or decades of eating sweets or fried foods.
Other age-related changes that can leave us heavier – even obese – as we get older in Australia
- Body fat stores are rarely even and smooth after the age of our mid-twenties.
- Additionally, having children, making repeated facial expressions or undergoing yo-yo dieting and weight changes can wreak havoc on your once-smooth firm physique and facial skin.
- Throw in hormonal changes after childbirth, menopause or andropause (“male menopause”), joint pain and sedentary lifestyles, and you may end up with a physique you no longer feel comfortable with.
Body fat accumulation can get worse as we age, go through menopause or androgen/testosterone deficiency.
- Women and Men both gain weight as we age although the distribution is very individualistic as well as gender-influenced.
- For males, it can mean a ‘beer gut’ and ‘man boobs’ (Gynaecomastia, which Male Breast Reduction Surgery can remedy).
- For females, it may mean drooping breasts or heavier breasts and a sagging tummy or having hips broader than we’d like.
Studies often indicate that our bodies DO become LESS efficient at burning fat and calories as we age.
Fortunately, there are new methods for reducing excess body fat and for body contouring – including non-surgical methods as well as traditional Tummy Tuck surgery or Breast Reduction Surgery. And based on current statistics, many of us have unwanted fat stores in certain areas of our bodies.
Other reasons Liposuction, EnCurve RF, Double Chin Treatments and Tummy Tuck Surgery remain popular.
- Many of us DO work out, but perhaps not quite regularly enough.
- Our genetics or a sluggish metabolism may also be working against us.
- But mostly, gaining weight or excess body fat is a combination of lifestyle and hormonal changes.
- Once your fat cells expand, they are difficult to reduce, as they require very little caloric intake to sustain themselves (our bodies are just TOO efficient at storing fat).
We ALSO may gain excess fat due to factors that reinforce a sedentary, calorie-rich lifestyle. Obesity related factors include:
- Having sedentary jobs over long periods of time
- Raising children and eating fast foods or leftovers
- Over-catering at events
- Being food-focused thanks to reality TV shows like “My Kitchen Rules” and “Master Chef”
- Post-pregnancy weight gain
- The metabolic slowing down effects of not getting adequate sleep each night – or over-eating to compensate for being thirsty or tired
- Post-Menopausal weight gain
- Androgen and Testosterone deficiency
- The Australian culture of high alcohol intake and high sugar intake (hidden sugars found in soft drinks and foods)
As we get older, our metabolism is often slower than it used to be.
- Part of these outcomes relate to natural ageing and slower regeneration and digestion processes of our bodies.
- Part of it is a vicious cycle of eating and feeling uncomfortable exercising due to having a heavier body weight.
It’s a vicious cycle for some of us, meaning the more weight we gain, the less active we tend to be. And the less active we are, the more we might find ourselves tempted by unhealthy foods.
There are new ways to manage fat reduction without surgery – but for best results over the longer term, you’ll STILL need to live healthily and maintain a stable, healthy BMI.
Surgical and new non surgical body contouring treatments ARE now available for people who want to shift or reduce body fat in certain places. But they are NOT a substitute for exercise and good nutritional eating patterns.
Fat Fighting Technology also DOES seem to get better every decade – and sometimes Exercise or Dieting is simply NOT enough – especially if your abdominal muscles are separated and in need of surgical repair after having children.
- Where exercise fails, however, surgery such as Liposuction OR non-surgical fat reduction (fat cell elimination using high-tech equipment such as EnCurve RF treatments) can be a good option for suitable candidates.
- Tummy Tuck surgery and body contouring may be required where there is excess skin or skin folds/sagging skin.
- These days, even double chin fat can be reduced with injections (offered at Coco Ruby by Dr Prav Kumar).
- There’s even FAT TRANSFER from butt to breasts (or removing fat from the thighs, hips or abdomen area and injecting it into the breast or face areas to improve contours in more than one place) – ask for Dr Rebecca Wyten in Hawthorn or Berwick.
EnCurve RF is also a new NON-SURGICAL option with little to zero downtime.
For patients who are not quite needing Liposuction or a Tummy Tuck, or who need to avoid any downtime – a series of EnCurve RF treatments may help shift small volumes of fat and smooth out body bulges.
The EnCurve RF option for non-surgical body contouring
Lutronic EnCurve RF is a newly available non-surgical fat reduction treatment for body contouring – it can reduce fat in certain areas of the body but requires frequent sessions spaced 1 to 4 weeks apart.
- The enCurve treatments help reduce fat cells on the abdomen, thighs, legs and upper arms using radio-frequency (27.12 MHz) which selectively targets & heats Adipocytes to the optimal temperature for denaturation of fat cells with no down time.
- Patients require at least 3 to 6 (or more) treatments about 1 to 4 weeks apart, plus maintenance.
- Healthy lifestyle MUST also be followed to maintain good results.
Surgical Skin Reduction and Fat Reduction vs Reducing Fat Cells using EnCurve RF
Tummy Tuck Surgery is a gold standard for overcoming belly bulges, particularly after pregnancy. So is Liposuction if the skin is firm and resilient.
Or maybe you’re just afraid of having Tummy Tuck or Liposuction surgery even when it’s primarily proven to be safe for suitable candidates who are good at following pre-op and post-op recovery instructions.
- For some of us, you may not feel that body contouring surgery or liposuction surgery is a viable option – either in terms of downtime or costs, or both.
- This is when you’d be wise to ask about your suitability for ENCURVE RF treatments at Coco Ruby in Hawthorn.
That’s where the latest fat reduction enCurve RF treatments come into play.
EnCurve RF for fat reduction or body contouring – how does it work to reduce fat and contour the body with no downtime?
You may want a non-surgical option for a flatter tummy or you may be concerned, for example, about undergoing an operation that requires general (‘going under’) Anaesthetic in a hospital. Or you might not be able to take enough time out at the moment, from work, childcare or parent minding to undergo a surgery procedure with a few week’s of down time.
Read more on our ENCURVE page.
Double Chin Injections Treatment: Reducing a Double Chin by reducing under-chin and neck area fat stores.
(Double Chin Injection Photo courtesy of Allergan – not a Coco Ruby Patient).
- Up to 67% of patients are concerned about excess sub-mental fat in their chin & neck area, according to a study by the suppliers of solutions for under chin fat reduction treatments.
- For patients wanting to reduce the appearance of a ‘double chin,’ a TGA approved solution administered by strategically placed injections, is the latest non-surgical option to refine the appearance of the chin and jawline.
Best results require 3 or more injection sessions at 6 week intervals to reduce Submental Fat and help redefine and improve the clarity of the jawline contours.
Read more about Double Chin Treatment – Injections (Double Chin Injections).
Liposuction Surgery in Melbourne
- Tumescent Liposuction surgery remains one of the most popular surgeries for body contouring and reducing fat from areas of the body.
- Suitable candidates have reached a stable weight and have good skin collagen.
- Common areas for excess fat removal using LIPOSUCTION include the abdomen, thighs/flanks, upper arms or buttocks.
Dr Prav Kumar is our Coco Ruby Liposuction Surgeon.
Tumescent liposuction is a good option for suitable patients who have good, healthy skin and are in good health, but simply want to reduce fat bulges in certain areas.
- Liposuction is a surgery and hence has more risks than the non-surgical alternatives, but it can reduce fat or help sculpt the body more noticeably than enCurve RF can accomplish (or in a slightly quicker time period).
- Recovery time is lengthier (and lipo surgery requires General Anaesthesia), so there IS downtime with liposuction.
But Liposuction remains a gold standard for surgical fat reduction and body contouring.
Tummy Tuck or Fat Transfer from Butt or Thighs to the Breasts for Breast Enlargement without Breast Implants
Then there are the surgical alternatives for body contouring, such as the Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck), a body lift, thigh reduction/thigh lift, buttocks lift, brachioplasty (arm reduction of the upper arms or ‘bingo wings’), and breast reduction. Many of these procedures use liposuction as an aid to help reshape the body or breasts, or even the neck, and to help reduce bulges or curves to leave a smoother, more balanced physique or appearance.
Read more about surgery options on our Plastic Surgery pages (Browse the body section or send us an enquiry for information on what you hope to change about your body contours) – or REGISTER to attend one of our FREE monthly patient events.
Less fat cells, less fat and tighter skin mean your body can help your body look it’s best!
Find out how it works by sending us an enquiry form or coming in for a consultation on Liposuction, Double Chin Reduction or enCurve RF treatments at Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing or, if you think you may need surgery to repair torn abdominal muscles or reduce excess skin, or investigate Fat Transfer using Liposuction (Dr Wyten) – ask to meet with one of our Specialist Melbourne Plastic Surgeons.
A one-stop website for people trying to get healthier and reduce their risks of obesity related diseases including diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.www.newbodyspecialists.com.au
Please send us an enquiry if you would like to learn more about Liposuction surgery, EnCurve RF, Double Chin Cosmetic Injection Treatments or other fat reduction and skin fold surgery treatments – or phone us during Clinic Hours on (03) 8849 1444.