Top Beauty Hacks – Skin & Beauty Tips to Disguise a Sleepless Night (or two)
Feeling stressed and tired? Chances are, you’re probably not alone. A recent study by the Sleep Health Foundation found that between 33 and 45 per cent of us Australians have poor sleep patterns, and don’t get enough precious hours of sleep.
The truth is, most of us don’t quite catch the recommended 8 hours of sleep, and more often than not, it can show all over our faces! Perhaps you’ve recently given birth, are busy at work or have simply had a few too many late nights out on the town. Whatever the cause, we’ve got you covered with a carefully curated list of beauty hacks to help you look refreshed and revitalised, even when you’re running on very little sleep.
These top beauty hacks to fake your 8 hours of sleep are NOT a substitute for getting enough sleep.
These are just our top beauty hacks to help you look better when circumstances or life choices prevent you from getting adequate rest for a night or two.
Be sure you find a way to get good sleep, on a regular basis, whatever that takes in terms of turning down social invitations or late night partying, or sharing nighttime child feeding duties with a partner, parent or sibling.
Beauty Hack #1: Lacking sleep? Concealer is your best friend
A tell-tale sign that you haven’t gotten your recommended 8 hours of sleep is often staring right back at you in the mirror; unwanted under-eye bags and dark circles! It comes as no surprise that there is a quick fix for this, and its something you may already use everyday.
Concealer is not just for covering unwanted blemishes and spots. Investing in a good quality concealer with a generous amount of coverage can be a lifesaver when it comes to lightening and brightening your under-eye area.
You should however approach with caution. Like many makeup products, less is more when it comes to concealer, otherwise you run the risk of blotchy or patchy looking skin! Apply your concealer sparingly with the tips of your fingers to help melt the product into your skin and avoid creasing.
Another top tip is to apply a moisturising eye cream or serum before your concealer. This will help to avoid any dreaded dryness or flakiness, especially in the winter months!
One of our favourite eye gels is the Medik8 Eyelift, an all-in-one anti-ageing eye serum that helps to combat the appearance puffiness, dark circles and fine lines.
Beauty Hack #2: A bright, bold lip and cheek can help disguise exhaustion
When you’re tired, you can end up looking pale. If your skin looks dull, book in for an exfoliating facial or skin booster injections.
- But meanwhile, bold coloured makeup can help you take the attention away from your tired eyes and make a bold statement all at once.
- If you’re feeling a little under the weather from lack of sleep, you don’t have to let it show!
- Depending on how daring you are feeling, get out your favourite bright lipstick and blush and instantly revitalise your look.
A little bit of lipstick can help to tie together any makeup look, especially when you don’t have the time or energy to put a whole lot of effort into your makeup.
- A dash of lipstick and and a dusting of blush are just what the doctor ordered for those days when you’ve not quite gotten enough sleep, or snoozed your alarm one too many times.
- Or try a different colour to what you normally wear – it will distract people from how tired you might otherwise be looking or feeling.
- Wearing a new, brighter colour might even temporarily perk you up, as colour has an impact on our emotions and mental states!
Beauty Hack #3: Hydrate!
If you’re lacking in sleep, chances are you’re likely also suffering from dehydration.
You’ll need to hydrate your skin in two ways: drinking adequate water (and no, copious amounts of coffee or softdrinks are NOT a substitute) and using the proper moisturing regimes for your skin!
A good quality, cosmeceutical moisturiser or hydrating serum will help to plump up tired, dull and dehydrated skin. We recommend a multi-purpose moisturiser like Obagi Hydrate which helps to minimise the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines and discourage irritation and breakouts, as well as deeply hydrate and nourish your skin.
Don’t forget – moisturisers are not enough to prevent skin dehydration problems – you need to hydrate from the inside too.
Ensure you get you 8 glasses a day, especially when you’re running on empty. Water really is a miracle cure for a lot of pesky problems and helps to hydrate and plump your skin from within. Get drinking! And if you’ve had any recent cosmetic injections and filler treatments, you’ll know you need to drink adequate water as part of your cosmetic injections and filler injections after care guidelines.
Beauty Hack #4: Even it all out with foundation
Your skin can often be left looking blotchy and uneven if you’re not getting enough sleep, or if the everyday stresses are getting the better of you. That is where foundation comes into play – the holy grail of all beauty items. There’s not a lot that a good quality foundation can’t cover up. Although, there are a few simple tricks to be aware of:
- Don’t overdo it! No one likes a blotchy, patchy or overdone look, and too much can often be just as bad as nothing at all.
- It’s all about the shade! Ensure you are using a foundation that matches your natural skin colour and blends nicely with the rest of your body.
- Prime time! To ensure a flawless application and finish, you should invest in a skin primer to apply before your foundation. For some, this may just be their face moisturiser. It’s important that you apply foundation to clean, moisturised skin to avoid a blotchy or uneven appearance.
Top Beauty Skin Hacks can include professional treatments – and isn’t it time you’re due for a facial treatment?
Beauty Hack #5: Treat yourself to a Skin Treatment or Facial at Coco Ruby in Melbourne, or top up your lip filler (read how to avoid lip filler disasters).
- To really help overhaul your tired appearance or dull, dry skin, a moisturising facial or resurfacing skin care treatment should be your go-to.
- We are all in need of a bit of a pamper day every now and then, and it can be the perfect remedy for those days when you are feeling tired, stressed or have missed out on a good nights sleep!
- If you’re really feeling stressed and overwhelmed, we suggest you request a Healite II facial treatment with exfoliation cleansing and at-home products to keep your skin glowing.
At Coco Ruby Skin and Anti-Ageing, we have an extensive list of fully customisable skin care treatments that can help to heal and nourish your skin. Help to get back your natural glow by booking a skin consultation or treatment with one of your highly experienced Dermal Clinicians.
Read Related Blog: