Skin Needling and Microneedling: Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) DermaPen in Melbourne
Dermapen Microneedling for the face in Melbourne:
Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), also known as Microneedling, is a non-surgical & effective, treatment that uses micro-fine needles to stimulate collagen production and skin rejuvenation, with minimal downtime involved. This treatment isn’t just for your face, it is also suitable to use almost anywhere on the body.
Our Dermal Clinicans use a specialised device, the Dermapen, to perform Microneedling on all skin tones, as unlike some Laser and IPL treatments, the Dermapen recognises every skin tone as the same.
Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT): An Effective Treatment for a variety of skin troubles
CIT is a very effective way to rejuvenate skin no matter what your skin type.
It helps to stimulate collagen renewal (fibroblast collagen production) by gently traumatising a small percentage of the skin, using micro-fine needles. As the needles gently penetrate the skin in a controlled fashion (which isn’t as uncomfortable as you might think because it’s quick, very fine and helped by numbing cream before your treatment); then collagen production is encouraged.
With new, fresh and stronger skin pushing it’s way up through the dermal layers as your skin renews itself, you’ll end up with more refined, smoother and even-textured skin – skin that has fewer lines and wrinkles and discolouration or hyper-pigmentation.
SKIN NEEDLING (Micro-needling or microneedling)
Sensitivity to discomfort of skin needling or DERMAPEN is partially genetic.
What is skin needling and can it help you with your skin’s appearance?
The quick answer is that it is a cosmetic facial treatment that uses minimally invasive micro-fine needles, moved carefully over the treated areas by a Dermal Clinician or Doctor, to help penetrate the deeper skin tissues to stimulate better cellular turnover.
And what does better cellular turnover and skin needling accomplish?
- Younger looking facial appearance
- Smoother skin texture (less unevenness)
- Brighter looking skin as the dead cells are sloughed off and the underlying tissues appear more plump or volumised
SkinPen or DermaPen Microneedling for Skin – Skin Needling for facial rejuvenation and plumper, smoother skin.
- Collagen induction therapy is also known as (CIT) or microneedling.
- It can treat everything from scars to skin laxity to ageing and sun damage, with relatively little down time.
- It uses micro-fine needles to stimulate collagen production and skin rejuvenation.
SkinPen Skin Needling Treatments
SkinPen by Bellus Medical is another option for skin needling. It is recognised as being quite effective for treating acne scars and reducing skin blemishes and subsequent scarring.
Creating these micro-injuries to the skin using a Dermapen (CIT/Collagen Induction Therapy) evokes the skin’s innate healing (and rejuvenation) responses.
At a cellular level, this increases fibroblast (collagen producing cells) activity and can really help your skin look fresher, tighter and smoother over the following weeks and months.
Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT): Dermapen Treatments for Better Looking, Firmer Skin and Scar Reduction
If you’re wanting to treat common skin conditions such as:
- Acne scarring
- Ageing or sun damage including wrinkling
- Uneven skin texture
- Surgical scars (face or body)
- Large scars including C-Section or Abdominoplasty scars
- Accidental scars
- Traumatic scars
Then you’ll want to explore the possibility of micro-needling or DERMAPEN treatments, otherwise called Collagen Induction Treatments or CIT.
Dermapen techniques: What’s the treatment best for?
Our Dermal Clinicians can treat your skin with special Dermapen techniques to:
- Tighten prematurely ageing skin
- Encourage overall facial rejuvenation
- Even out your skin’s texture or pigmentation
- Improve active serum uptake (increases penetration of topically-applied skin nutrients)
The penetration impact for serums is particularly valuable for clients who use quality medical-grade (cosmeceutical) skin care products. Where most products sit on the skin and barely penetrate the deeper layers, with microneedling, channels are created that can carry up to 80% more topical nutrients to the deeper layers (deep into the skin’s fibroblasts) which provides nutrients to the underlying cells found in the dermis & basal layer.
Whilst the results can be somewhat similar to fractional laser treatments, there are far less side effects & far less downtime than there would be with a Fraxel skin rejuvenation treatment, for example.
Dermapen treatments help reduce:
- Fine lines & facial wrinkles
- Vertical lines around the upper lips
- Sagging, aged skin
- Appearance of large pores
- Some stretch marks
- Acne scars
- Face Surgery Scars (or ask about Scar Revision by our Plastic Surgeons)
- Skin damage from minor facial burns
Skin Microneedling in Melbourne: What are the Advantages of a Dermapen Treatment?
The procedure has several advantages over the traditional microneedling treatments, including:
- Ability to safely reach more areas of the facial skin, including around the nose and around the eyes
- More micro injections in the target area means better circulation and healing
- Less painful and minimally invasive
- Ability to be more controlled and offer a more uniform treatment, providing for greater consistency of results
- Needle adjustments allow for treatments to be tailored to YOUR individual skin’s needs
- The procedure uses disposable needles which hence reduces or eliminates risks of infection
Dermapen microneedling may be the ultimate solution to your skin condition.
Dermapen Microneedling: What are the potential benefits of Micro-needling for your skin?
The Dermapen is a revolutionary micro needling device in terms of skin care.
A clinical-use only device, it helps to refine the skin’s appearance and combat the visible signs of premature skin ageing, at deeper layers of your skin.
Dermapen is highly suitable for skin rejuvenation as it can help tighten – even potentially ‘lift’ – your skin as it improves your skins underlying collagen (strength) as well as it’s external appearance.
Benefits of Dermapen Microneedling:
- Stimulates Collagen production to help combat ageing
- Reduces Scarring from Acne or Surgery
- Treats Uneven Skin Texture & Pigmentation
- Reduces Sun Damage
- Firms up slightly Lax Facial Skin
- Reduces Stretch Marks
The Dermapen device can be carefully managed by our Dermal Clinicans as they are able to control the depth of the penetration of the fine needles. This allows the device to reach difference layers of your skin, and therefore the treatment can be customised to target your specific skin concerns and meet your needs.
Generally, you’ll need at least 3 sessions, approximately 4-6 weeks apart for best results.
Celebrities are using MicroNeedling
Dermapen and CIT Treatments (Collagen Induction Therapy)
As an anti-ageing device that is non-surgical, Collagen Induction Therapy (Dermapen Microneedling) is an effective and sought-after treatment that can rejuvenate the skin and reduce prior scars from surgery, acne or stretch marks. It can be used nearly anywhere on the face and body.
Here’s a snapshot of the CIT Microneedling treatment (skin needling)
- CIT or skin needling procedures (micro-needling) involve the use of a special device (a Microneedling pen with or without Radio Frequency or RF – such as a DermaPen OR SkinPen).
- During the treatment, your Dermal Clinician or Aesthetic Physician would either move or roll a micro-needling device over the areas to be treated.
- The microneedling device helps your Dermal Clinician or Physician to carefully manage (or control) the depth of the penetration of the very tiny needles
- Controlling the microneedling penetration allows your Clinician to reach different layers of the skin
- The depth and treatment area strategies are determined by what you’re trying to treat – it allows for extensive control of the skin treatments so they can be customised to meet your needs.
- You’ll need at least 3 sessions, about 4 to 5 (up to 6) weeks apart, for best results.
Typical skin micro-needling treatments needle depths range anywhere from 0.5mm down to 3.5mm (typically changed in increments of 0.1mm to 0.25mm or 0.5mm depending on the skin needling device and how it operates.
- Radio frequency devices are also available and when used, they can vary in Radio Frequencies (RF’s) from 1mhz to 2mhz or other specified frequency.
- Needles vary in the type of medal they are created from; Some are actual Gold covered and some are insulated and non-insulted.
“Microneedling pens” are typically powered by a motor and can be adjusted for FREQUENCY (stamps per second) and DEPTH of the micro-needles.
DERMAPEN Treatments for Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT)
- A Dermapen uses a sterile, one-only usage cartridge of needles in a pen-like device.
- The fine needles are made of surgical steel.
- The Microneedles are adjustable from 0.25 mm to 2.5 mm in length.
- These Microneedles penetrate the upper (epidermis) and lower (dermis) strata of the skin at targeted and specific depths according to your Dermal Clinician.
Use of a Dermapen cause controlled microscopic ‘mini-wounds’ (which may result in temporary fine pin-point bleeding in the areas treated).
How Skin Needling with SkinPen or Dermapen works
If you have ever researched skin treatments, you’ll know that most of the medical or clinical grade treatments (as contrasted to feel-good spa treatments and limited facial peels) work by allowing for micro-damage – controlled trauma – to the skin, which then encourages new cellular turnover of healthier, stronger and firmer looking skin. Because of the skin renewal cycle where older, dead skin cells flake off as newer skin cells work their way up to the visible layer of your skin, the effects of these treatments are typically seen over the weeks and months AFTER your treatment, although you’ll tend to see some results immediately.
Controlled Trauma to the Skin – Small and Precise is Best when it comes to needling the facial skin
It may sound a bit scary and it can be risky if the wrong treatment is given to the wrong type of skin for that treatment, but in the right hands of a fully-qualified and experienced Dermal Clinician or Aesthetic Physician or other skin clinician, it is one of the most effective ways to get the skin renewal cycle to generate stronger collagen and healthier, firmer looking skin.
Essentially the key criteria for effective treatments involving controlled ‘micro-trauma’ or ‘micro-penetration’ of the skin are:
- Control of the depth of the micro-needles used on the dermis (skin)
- Control of the size of the penetrating device or implement.
How does Dermapen Microneedling Work?
The concept of Dermapen micro-needling is based on your skin’s ability to repair itself whenever it encounters physical damage or trauma such as abrasions, cuts, and other types of wounds.
Normally, your skin destroys old damaged tissue immediately after an injury and replaces it with new healthy skin cells.
Dermapen’s unique ability allows controlled induction of your skin’s self-repair mechanism (cellular repair and renewal) by creating controlled wounds (called “micro injuries”). This technique stimulates the production of new collagen, which helps to create new, healthy skin.
Wound healing in general resembles the following process over time. With a Dermapen treatment, however, the micro needling essentially creates very tiny ‘pinholes’ in your skin. This stimulates the cellular renewal and collagen rejuvenation process, without causing external surface damage or scars. In fact, the treatment can help reduce acne scars and other facial skin imperfections.
In addition to this, the punctures from microneedling treatments also act as micro-channels that help carry essential nutrients deeper into your skin layers for increased effectiveness. The result is smoother, radiant and younger looking skin when you use top quality serums and other active-ingredient skin care products.
What happens during the Skin Needling Procedure?
Dermapen microneedling is performed in a safe and precise manner with the use of a sterile needle, by a qualified and highly trained Dermal Clinician or Nurse.
It can easily be performed in the Clinic and is typically completed within 20 to 60 minutes, depending on the size of the treated area and the extent of your pre-existing skin damage or ageing that you want to improve.
Before the procedure, your Dermal Clinician will apply a topical anesthetic on your skin to help minimize any potential discomfort.
Your clinician then places the Demapen over the target area, moving the hand piece back and forth.
- Initially, you may feel a stinging sensation as the needle tip makes contact with your skin.
- This creates tiny punctures in your skin surface, inducing the production of new healthy skin cells.
- After the procedure, you can immediately resume your work or daily routine because no bandages are required and it is minimally invasive.
The Dermapen Technique: How your Clinician Rejuvenates your Skin using micro-fine needles
When a Dermal Clinician or Nurse uses a Dermapen on your skin, they are essentially using a device that contains multiple micro-fine needles.
The Dermapen is used to carefully pierce your skin – vertically – to help tighten and lift your skin and give your face a more rejuvenated appearance.
A Dermapen in the right Clinician’s hands can visibly improve the appearance of fine lines, pigmentation, stretch marks, acne scars, trauma scars and other skin imperfections.
Less down time than other types of Rejuvenation
It has an automatic, high speed vibrating function which can also help increase the effectiveness of your skin treatment by rapidly creating several insertions (micro-needling). This helps reducing any pain or discomfort.
Cost of Dermapen
A needling treatment which helps to increase collagen production, decrease fine lines and improve scarring. Leads to refined pores and more luminous skin.
Face – $350
Body – $450
Make a BOOKING (03) 8849 1400
DOT Therapy Laser versus Skin Needling?
- With CIT the penetration is micro-fine needles.
- With Laser it’s usually ablative or non-ablative laser energy (powerful light beams) that is typically broken up to many smaller lights (such as fine DOT points in DOT Therapy, for example).
Is the Microneedling Procedure Safe?
The treatment is not only very effective but it is also considered safe with few side effects or complications if you follow the post-treatment care instructions carefully.
You can, however, expect some redness, minimal swelling and mild discomfort during or after the procedure. These are usually quite tolerable for most patients.
If you have lower pain threshold, you can ask to be prescribed mild painkillers to manage discomfort (you’ll need to visit with one of our Plastic Surgeons or Aesthetic Physician or female GP before hand if you have a very low threshold for discomfort).
How Many Treatments will I need?
Every person’s skin is unique so the number of treatments you may need will vary depending on what condition(s) you want treated with microneedling. The following are some general guidelines only, but you are welcome to speak with one of our Dermal Clinicians in Hawthorn and learn more about what micro needling can do for YOUR skin concerns.
- Acne Scarring – treatments are customised per patient
- Typically 4 to 6 Dermapen treatments
- Scheduled approximately 6 weeks apart
- Anti-Ageing Skin Rejuvenation including Collagen Induction
- Typically 4 to 6 treatments scheduled approximately 4 weeks apart but can vary between patients
- Stretch Marks Reduction
- Stretch marks are challenging to treat but there are some options to reduce their appearance
- Whilst not all stretch marks can be treated effectively, our Dermal Clinician can help you know if microneedling can help
- For most patient, treatments will be scheduled approximately 6 weeks apart and you’ll need from 4 to 8 treatments for best results
Skin Needling – is DermaPen the same as SkinPen?
Different needling devices have options for penetration levels (skin needling depth) which in turn can be adjusted to have a light treatment or a more intensive treatment (deeper).
- Microneedling is an excellent solution to rejuvenate certain types of skin.
- Despite it’s name (skin needling), it is often a fairly comfortable procedure to undertake for excellent rejuvenation and skin tightening effects.
- You can easily use topical anaesthetic and/or cool packs before your treatment for even more comfort during the treatment process and Healite II treatments after treatments.
- Multiple sessions are needed for best results, but unlike lasers, the down time is relatively minimal AND it can even be used effectively on darker skin types without increasing risks of pigmentation (NOT ALL skin resurfacing methods are well-tolerated by all skin types).
Ask your Dermal Clinician or Injecting Clinician for information about which specific types of skin needling versus laser treatments and skin peels, might be best for what you’re wanting to accomplish.
In essence, Collagen Induction Therapy or CIT is a cosmetic aesthetic-medical procedure that involves puncturing the dermis (skin) with very tiny, micro-sized sterile needles in a pen (micro-needling the skin).
Used to treat numerous skin problems including scarring, acne, sun damage and ageing skin (skin laxity and uneven skin pigmentation). Unlike lasers, its highly effective and is typically well-tolerated and suitable for nearly ANY and ALL types of skin, from Fitzpatrick scale 1 through 6.
Does Dermapen Hurt?
Is needling the skin as uncomfortable as it sounds? Yes, skin needling can be uncomfortable without numbing cream.
- However, the needles are micro-fine (eyelash size or less!).
- And we help you understand how and when to apply the topical numbing cream for greater comfort.
- Plus, the discomfort or pain involved in a skin needling session DOES tend to pass relatively quickly for most patients.
You’ll likely have a few days of tenderness and swelling, potentially along with minor bruising or redness, and you may be recommended to use cool packs (ice packs over a thin cloth) to soothe the skin.
But if you’re like most people who’ve tried this effective treatment, you too may give it a thumbs-up ‘worth it’ rating or recommendation to your friends, even if you find it somewhat uncomfortable (and NOT everyone does)!
To learn more about how YOUR skin can benefit from choosing a microneedling procedure, you can call (03) 8849 1400 and ask to speak to one of our Skin Care Advisors
We’ll be happy to help assess whether Dermapen microneedling will suit your specific skin problems including acne scar reduction and anti-ageing skin rejuvenation.
By appointment only: Melbourne (Hawthorn).
- William Abramovits; Gloria Graham; Yaron Har-Shai; Renata Strumia (28 April 2016). Dermatological Cryosurgery and Cryotherapy. Springer. pp. 94–. ISBN 978-1-4471-6765-5.
- Peter Altmeyer; Klaus Hoffmann; Stephan el Gammal; Jerry Hutchinson (6 December 2012). Wound Healing and Skin Physiology. Springer Science & Business Media. pp. 164–. ISBN 978-3-642-77882-7.
Give us a call today on (03) 8849 1400 if you are interested in having micro-needling skin treatments using SkinPen or Dermapen for Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) to:
- firm up slightly lax facial skin
- prepare your skin for facial surgery
- rejuvenate your skin
- reduce sun damage
- treat acne scars
- reduce stretch marks
- improve your collagen levels
You’ll be glad you discovered this highly effective collagen induction treatment and our expert Dermal Clinicians with extensive experience in getting you excellent results.
Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1400 and book a facial assessment ($50) or a longer session to combine your assessment with the treatment that is deemed suitable for your skin condition.