Acne Treatment and Management in Melbourne
Here at Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing, our Dermal Clinicians have expertise in helping patients of all ages control their acne and reduce acne scarring. It can take several treatments and a home-care approach as well as an in-clinic treatment package, and you’ll need to follow the ‘home work’ instructions from your Dermal Clinician. But the healing effects of these treatments and skin care products can leave you with smoother, clearer skin and the confidence that goes with it.
The diagram below reveals various types of acne pimples.
Problems with Acne
Many sufferers of acne have a variety of blemishes; including blocked pores, pus-filled pustules, whiteheads and blackheads. Unfortunately, it is often more prominent during puberty or young adulthood – just when you really want to look your very best. But acne can strike at any age, and can come and go for some individuals.
Fortunately we can give you tips for keeping acne at bay for a lifetime; by teaching you skin care regimes and the products that really help reduce the chances of your skin breaking out in pimples. There’s no guarantee you’ll never get a pimple again, but we have seen some amazing results with our medical-grade skin cleansing routines and practical advise, such as eating healthily and changing your pillow cases and facial washers daily.
Acne Scarring: Effects
- All types of acne lesions have the ability to produce inflammation and can sometimes leave all skin types hyperpigmented or with tell-tale scars (deep pick-ax scars or acne crater-types of scars).
- This can continue after the infection for several months or permanent and scarring may not show up for several months (as the skin renews, you see what the lower dermal layers have become exposed to).
- Acne and acne scarring may have psychological effects on the patient, including reduced self-esteem or even depression.
What acne treatments are available and do they work?
The key to treating acne effectively is to monitor your condition and results with a professional (a Dermal Clinician is a great start as they have advanced knowledge of what works and what doesn’t). But you’ll still need patience and dedication – often it’s a combination of factors that leads to acne. Many of these are, fortunately, under your control (but some aren’t). So you’ll want to be diligent to do all you can to keep acne and pimples away.
Chemical Skin Peels can help treat some forms of acne
- These treatments are performed by a Dermal Clinician to exfoliate and de-congest your skin.
- These chemical peels are mainly Salicylic or Jessner’s peels as they both have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects on acne.
- Chemical peels also have a rejuvenation effects and help skincare products penetrate deeper into the lower layers of the skin for faster results.
LED Light Therapy
Blue and Red LED light treatment has shown improvements for persistent acne. These light treatments work by targeting the sebaceous gland and bacteria beneath the skin. It also aids the healing process.
Low Level Light Therapy (Healite II) may also help.
Medication and Hormone Therapy can help reduce some forms of acne
If topical treatments alone fail, long term antibiotics or hormone therapy may be an option for some patients to help control their acne.
- Hormone therapy is usually restricted to female patients in the form of contraceptive pill (but there are side effects to familiarise yourself with and this IS a drug)
- On rare occasions, isotretinoin (oral vitamin A) also known as ‘Roaccutane’ can be prescribed by a doctor for severe nodule cystic acne – again, side effects are a concern for most patients.
Medications can have severe and long-term side effects and should never be taken lightly.
- It is often better if you can treat the acne with the right program and products than to take medication which can harm your body due to ‘side’ effects (unwanted direct effects of the medication).
Fractional Laser Treatments can also help improve some forms of Acne
Once the active acne has been controlled and cleared, sometimes laser treatments are ideal for those who have scarring as a result of having moderate to severe Acne or blackheads.
How DOT therapy works to help minimise your acne scars
- DOT therapy uses CO2 laser technology, which works by causing a controlled wound to the deeper layers of the skin
- This encourages the dermal layer to heal itself by producing more collagen fibres
- With an increased amount of collagen fibres produced, the skin essentially ‘bulks’ up
- Then, the tiny scars appear more level with the rest of the skin – and the surface is also smoother or rejuvenated after a series of DOT therapy session (you’ll often need at least 3 sessions to see good results but every patient is different; you may need more if you have deep acne scarring that has been there for some time)
Another method to reduce ACNE and Acne Scars is DERMAPEN or COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY (CIT).
Best Makeup For Covering Acne
Choose a Quality Mineral Makeup to combat acne and other bacterial reactions
- Some cosmetic products including liquid foundations have been known to cause acne.
- These cosmetic products can cause plugs in the hair follicle and trap the oils underneath the skin, allowing bacteria to thrive and cause acne. As makeup can be worn 10-12 hours per day.
- It is important to use quality mineral-based makeups that are gentle and allow the skin to “breathe”.
We offer a range of quality GLO Mineral Makeup, a pressed mineral powder. Ask one of our Dermal Clinicians about what makeup products would suit you
Use Medicated Skincare Products or Cosmeceuticals to help prevent pimples and acne.
Good options for skincare for Acne reactive skin include OBAGI, PCA, DNA RENEWAL or MEDIK8.
If you have sensitive, acne prone skin, on-going maintenance with prescribed skincare products are an essential part in the control of Acne. Preparations including salicylic acid, retinoic acid, benzyl peroxide and antibiotic washes and lotions are usually the main ingredients in these products.
Acne scars are difficult to treat but our Clinicians have numerous ways to minimise your scars.
Allow up to a year for treatments, but acne scars CAN be effectively treated in our Clinic if you are willing to do YOUR SIDE of the methods for keeping acne at bay as best as it can be.
So seek early treatments to prevent complications and minimise your scars. Call today on (03) 8849 1400 or send an enquiry form. We can review your skin with imaging, recommend a medical-based acne cleanser and acne home care system, and provide various in clinic peels, light based treatments or even lasers to keep your skin looking better to reduce major breakouts of acne and blackheads.
Next Step: Book your Acne Consultation in Hawthorn, Melbourne with a Dermal Clinician at Coco Ruby Skin Clinic
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1400 to arrange your injectables consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Coco Ruby’s Aesthetic Physician, Nurse Injectors or Dermal Clinician.
Want more information before scheduling your skin consultation?
- Request more information about our rejuvenation procedures – call or contact us
- Attend our FREE Regular Practice Events and meet our Skin Treatment Experts and our elite team of Plastic Surgeons for face, body and breast
Send a confidential Enquiry form to enquire about scheduling a skin consultation. For additional information on surgical and non-surgical facial rejuvenation options, please visit our Coco Ruby home page.
Please FOLLOW us on Facebook.