Lip Filler Tips from a PRO Injector: How to Avoid Going Overboard with Lip Injections
You see them everywhere. Humongous lips that overtake nearly every other feature of an otherwise attractive face. Then there are the botched lip filler news stories. But WHY are we seeing so many lip augmentation disasters – or botched lip fillers – by Cosmetic Injectors? Why are there so many seriously over-filled lips in Australia across the globe? And how can you enhance your lip shape, but not reach the point of the dreaded ‘trout mouth’ syndrome? And how are the hottest facial rejuvenation trends changing for 2018?
The answers to avoiding lip filler disasters – and crazy looking lips – are in this blog.
But in brief, it seems that clients – and unscrupulous injectors – aren’t readily recognising when ENOUGH is ENOUGH.
That’s why we’re seeing so many of the so-called “duck face” over-volumised lips (“crazy lips” after lip augmentation procedures). Not to mention the Kim Kardashian look-alike cheek-filler and lip-filler trends.
The future of lip augmentation (Lip Filler Trends & Predictions for 2018)
Our Coco Ruby Blog team believes that over-volumised lips are something this generation will look back upon, with the same disdain – and disbelief – that people now look back on the massive shoulder pads and teased-up hair they once adored in the crazy eighties.
Click here to read more on other new trends in facial rejuvenation and cosmetic injections. But if you’re wanting to avoid a BOTCHED lip filler story – or other lip filler disasters – continue reading THIS BLOG.
Lip Fillers and Trout Mouth: Avoiding Duck Face Lip Filler Trends and Augmentation Disasters
Despite the plethora of ‘trout mouth lip filler’ disasters, the cosmetic trends of over-volumised lips is already beginning to shift to more moderate types of enhancements.
- We are seeing more balanced lip augmentation requests, by cosmetic-educated clients, in recent times.
- Individuals are beginning to understand the need for a balanced lip augmentation approach, along with precision lip shaping, rather than blind enlargement when it comes to shaping lips.
- Shaping is the key; but not just the lips themselves; the entire face can be adjusted with very minor adjustments of filler in the cheeks, lips or jawline.
What this means is that small amounts of filler are injected, in the lips and other areas of the face.
They may appear subtle, but they are strategically placed for maximum effect on facial contours, as whole – meaning that small filler volumes in the right places can make all the difference for your overall appearance.
But meanwhile, many people are falling victim to the ‘more is more’ mentality of getting endless dermal filler injections in their lips or cheeks.
The over-filled/over-volumised lip should be avoided at all costs. Why?
- Because this lip-augmentation cosmetic injecting fiasco has led to an increase in “baboon” style, over-volumised lip augmentations
- Because less skilled Injecting Clinicians are failing to teach clients about the aesthetic VALUE of keeping your facial proportions balanced.
- Because there are precision cosmetic injection methods that allow for harmonious feature adjustments to improve the entire facial appearance rather than simply augmenting one feature to unrealistic proportions.
- Because a BIT of enhancement in the right parts of the lip can help shape the lip, but not distort it.
Simply stated, humongous lips don’t look more luscious. They look distorted.
When it comes to overly augmented lips, lips with too much filler in them often look unnatural and – for some women and men – disturbingly enlarged.
- You could even argue that some clinicians and some clients take lip augmentation to the point of facial disfigurement.
- Fortunately, for most clinicians using temporary dermal filler, the results WILL wear off in time. But all the same, it’s best when it’s avoided.
When too much is TOO MUCH: Lip Augmentation Disasters and Cosmetic Injection Fiascos – Avoiding the Distorted Lip
- When looking at the latest cosmetic treatment trends for 2018, you’ll find one thing in common.
- The trend of overfilling lips – or breasts, or anything else for that matter – is slowly changing to a more moderate level of enhancement.
And that’s a good thing.
Because otherwise, over-filled body parts – and over-volumised facial features – can end up looking museum-worthy, but ‘scary on the street’.
No where is this disproportionately-sized facial injecting strategy more visible, perhaps, than on social media sites under the category of makeup, big lips and humongous lips.
If your lips are larger in volume than that of both your eyes combined, you’ve probably succumbed to over filling.
According to our talented Senior Injecting Clinician, Sandra Wallace (RN/Div 1), over-volumised lips are still a massive problem in Melbourne and other parts of Australia.
Here are our PRO TIPS for avoiding disasters with Lip Augmentation Injections – and remember, LESS is more.
How to Avoid Botched Lip Filler Injections
Big lips are OUT; Balance is IN.
- Sadly, despite awareness of the trout mouth result of over-filling lips, many injectors haven’t quite caught up yet.
- It appears that unscrupulous or less skilled cosmetic injectors are the ones who are prone to overfilling lips with dermal filler injections.
- But sometimes they do this out of pressure from a client, who demands more volume or who threatens to go elsewhere, when that individual is actually far better off with what they already have attained in terms of lip volumisation injections.
Lip Filler Disasters: Over-Volumisation Problems with Dermal Filler Injections are common
Here’s how to NOT let it happen to you!
Want a bit more lip, but afraid you’ll soon be looking like you have the lips of a baboon?
Here’s how to NOT get caught out with over-sized lips.
- Recognise that a bit of filler can have a pleasing result on lip shape or lip volume.
- Lip volume can reduce wrinkles or fine lines around the lips, or even out a smile.
- Other lip injections can even correct an overly-gummy smile.
- Too much lip filler, however, can lead to distortions.
- A good injector can guide you on what you need – as well as WHEN TO STOP getting dermal fillers in the lips.
How to Avoid Going Overboard – preventing lip filler injection disasters in 2018.
Senior Cosmetic Injector, Sandra Wallace (RN/Div 1), affirms that the skill of a Cosmetic Injector is one of the KEY aspects of keeping your facial balance or ‘aesthetic alignment.’
- Aesthetic alignment (such as facial feature balance) simply means ensuring a pleasing alignment between ALL of your facial features.
- Taking an anatomically balanced approach to augmentation of facial features ensures a harmonic feature alliance.
- Consideration of the impact of dermal fillers on your overall anatomy (and facial structure balance) – whether you’re augmenting your lips or any OTHER part of your face or body – is crucial to getting a pleasing result.
“And that holds true for whether you’re augmenting the lips, cheeks, temples, chin or jawline,” Sandra advises, “and even if you’re filling in the tear troughs to remove dark shadows under the lower eyelid.”
“Your injector must take into account ALL of your features, and how even the subtlest of changes in your facial anatomy are going to effect your overall appearance. A skilled injector not only knows WHAT to inject – in terms of the numerous dermal filler options available today – but how much, where and how. But perhaps their most important skill is advising you on WHEN you’ve had enough – or if you’ve been somewhere else, when you’ve had too much – and what you can do about it (which is often simply waiting it out, balancing it out, or starting again).”
Baboon Lips are OUT as Cosmetic Injecting Trends shift towards Moderate Enhancement and Precision Shaping.
The Trout Pout should be avoided at all costs.
As we noted in our article on the latest cosmetic injections and facial rejuvenation treatment trends for 2018, one of the SHIFTS we’re seeing is an increase in using facial feature analysis to ‘better balance out’ your features.
- This involves facial proportion analysis, as well as professional assessments of your facial dimensions and the alignment of your key facial features.
- Your Clinician may evaluate how well matched your features appear, as well as how close together they are (or how apart they are), and how these proportions impact your appearance.
- Facial Analysis before Cosmetic Injecting Treatments MAY occasionally also involve sophisticated facial imaging; but most good cosmetic injectors have an eye for balance and beauty (although not ALL who inject are sufficiently trained).
Tip: Sometimes Crysalix facial imaging or Vectra 3D imaging can help your Cosmetic Physician or Injecting Nurse evaluate your features (especially if you’re having surgery such as a Rhinoplasty or Blepharoplasty/eyelid surgery). But for the most part, they have a highly trained eye – and precision injecting strategies – for knowing where to make adjustments.
But sadly, there are far too many beautiful women who’ve taken enhancement a few steps – perhaps even a few kilometers – too far.
Examples: Over-Volumised Lip Augmentations using Excess Dermal Filler
In the example below (found on Pinterest), a very attractive woman exhibits precision talent in applying makeup on her lips and eyes. But either she – or an unscrupulous injecting clinician – took her lip augmentation injections too far.
Her lips are seriously over-volumised. Whilst she’s likely developed a psychological or visual tolerance for having super-sized lips, no doubt she’ll look back in a few years time, and wonder what she – and others who fell prey to super-sizing their lips through augmentation – were thinking.
Just take a look on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.
You can’t help but notice that women everywhere are falling pray to ‘more is more’ with lip filler injections for lip enlargement.
- It’s not only freaky, but it can happen to nearly anyone – and does.
- The look of super-large lips has become so commonplace that many people have forgotten completely about the beauty value of sustaining an aesthetic balance.
- The lip augmentation trend is so ingrained, some people think EVERYONE – no matter what they look like – looks ‘modernly okay’ with over-sized lips and ‘trout pout’ lip shapes.
But the reality is the opposite: overly large lips can simply look grotesque, disproportionate or out of balance.
Could a Lip Filler disaster, such as Baboon Shaped Lips, happen to you?
- Suddenly, you might find yourself looking at yourself in a selfie – or in the mirror – and think to yourself, oh my, what have I done to my lips?
- Your eye makeup might be perfect, your hair might be shiny and fantastic – but the lips dominate the face in a way that looks entirely unnatural.
- Of course, if all of your friends are sporting the over-volumised lip, you might not even notice. But chances are that some of your friends or colleagues are wondering JUST HOW TO TELL YOU that you’ve gone a step (or three) too far.
Injector Sandra Wallace warns patients who seem addicted to lip filler injections:
“Top ups are nice. But you don’t have to keep going larger each time.”
“It’s better to start slowly, find the right volume, and stick with it. It’s always tempting to do more, but once you find the right balance – it’ll still look natural as well as potentially magnificent,” she continues.
“You need to ask not only your closest friends, but your family and acquaintances, for their honest opinions about whether or not your lip augmentation has gone to volumised. Most friends will be willing to tell you (so long as they haven’t fallen prey to the puffer-trout lip injections trends, themselves) – but are afraid you just won’t listen.”
One recent lip-filler injection “addict” agrees.
“My friends were trying to tell me, ‘they look perfect, don’t go any larger – they’re big enough as they are’ – but I kept thinking, ah, a little more, a little bit bigger, would be better. Fortunately I trusted my friends who were beauty bloggers, and dermal clinicians. I felt they at least had an educated idea of what they were talking about. I listened…but it was difficult, at first, to resist the temptation of getting even more filler in my lips. I had to hear it repeatedly before I heeded their advice and left them as they were. But now I’m glad I did.”
Super-sized Lip Augmentation: another classic example of over-volumised LIPS using Lip Augmentation, as found on Pinterest:
How many women have over-filled their lips with dermal filler injections?
Far too many for our beauty blogger’s sensibilities.
If you’re not sure, search PINTEREST for “big lips” or “big lips and makeup” and you’ll find an endless sea of trout-pout looking faces – all of which would look so much more aesthetically balanced with the right sized lip enhancement.
Moderation is the key.
Lip Filler Disasters: Avoiding Over Volumisation & Lip Augmentation advice
How To Avoid Having Humongous Lips when Getting Cosmetic Lip Injections (Lip Augmentation using Dermal Fillers): Lip Filler Techniques from a Pro Injector (Sandra Wallace).
For Patients – You need to remind yourself that:
- Humongous Lips from over-filling with lip augmentation injections are NOT attractive.
- Just because lip enhancement is trendy, doesn’t mean it’s right for you; get a professional opinion by a quality Injector.
- Remember, fillers are pharmaceutical grade products and injectors use needles and cannulas; so be careful who you choose to inject you, and where!
- A bit of filler goes a long way and can look fantastic.
- That’s why it’s tempting to go from a less is more attitude to a more is more mentality – just be sure you check yourself regularly, and ask a qualified clinician for advice.
- Compare your BEFORE and AFTER lip augmentation photos regularly.
- Evaluate your other selfie photos over time (use the same angle and try full face non-smiling and full face smiling) – are your lips taking over your face? Do they enter the room before you do? Beware the over-filled syndrome.
Your Cosmetic Injector needs to:
- Assess each client PROPERLY to see if their facial structure – including other features – will actually suit having lip augmentation using lip fillers.
- Recommend specific dermal fillers for other areas of your face, or around the lip area, when needed, to help correct facial volume losses or asymmetry – this holistic approach is important; they can then enhance your lip shape properly (a whole-face approach rather than just giving you larger lips and hoping for the best).
- Use a dermal filler applicable to the age, skin and other requirements of the client – this means you need a Clinician that has access to a large range of fillers, on hand, to choose from. As not ALL fillers are alike – the more choices, the more artistic your Clinician can be, and the better your results (if you choose a talented Injecting Clinician with years of expertise).
Want to find out more about techniques for lip augmentation or cheek filler – or skin refinement, eyelid surgery, nose reshaping …and more?
Call to schedule a facial assessment or lip augmentation evaluation with Senior Injector, Sandra Wallace, at our boutique style Hawthorn Clinic.
They work alongside some of Melbourne’s top Plastic Surgeons to offer a whole body, whole face solution to improving your appearance or rejuvenating your skin.
Phone (03) 8849 1400 and ask to see Sandra Wallace.