Limelight IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) for Redness, Telangiectasia or Brown Spots in Melbourne
The Cutera Limelight Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a powerful system that treats superficial hyperpigmentation, discolouration, ‘broken’ or damaged capillaries which are highly visible – and skin redness.
- IPL can be one of the most effective treatments for Telangiectasia, and is often used to treat the dilated capillaries which often appear as visible reddish or purple clusters.
- If your capillaries look ‘spidery’ or overly visible on your facial skin (often around the nose or on the cheeks) or decolletage, contact our top Dermal Clinicians to find out how light-based treatments can help you get your skin looking its best.
- It’s also a great treatment for sun damaged decolletage areas.
IPL is a light based treatment for skin – helps reduce redness and uneven pigmentation
- The light source treats skin imperfections and markings that are associated with ageing and sun damage, helping to improve your tone and texture.
- The patient below had 2 LIMELIGHT IPL treatments, four weeks apart, on her decolletage.
- The recommended number is typically 2 to 3 sessions (minimum) for good pigmentation reduction results.
- Other treatments for freckles, uneven skin tones, sun damage and wrinkles or redness may be more suitable depending on the patient or client’s needs.
- A skin consultation is your first step – phone (03) 8849 1444 to request a consultation with a Dermal Clinician at our Melbourne AUSTRALIA clinic.
What areas of the chest, body or face can be treated with Limelight IPL?
Telangiectasia, Face, Neck, Decolletage, Arms & Legs
- The Limelight IPL is ideal for any part of the face, neck and decolletage with skin redness, telangiectasia (tiny visible vessels) or brown spots.
- Light (low contrast) brown spots, which were previously difficult to resolve respond well to the treatment.
What do LIMELIGHT Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments feel like?
- When the pulse of light is delivered, patients will experience a mild stinging or very brief ‘pinching-like’ sensation.
- Cooling gel is often used to help cool and comfort the skin before the light energy is pulsed.
- Anaesthetic or pain medicine is typically not required.
How many Limelight IPL treatments will I need?
- One to three treatments are usually sufficient to see results.
- Additional treatments may be recommended, especially for excessively sun-damaged skin.
- Your Dermal Clinician will give you a customised treatment plan.
- We offer other solutions if you have skin problems that are not suitable to be treated with IPL – just attend a skin consultation to learn what treatments will be best for your personal skin-related concerns.
What happens after the IPL treatment?
- Immediately following the Limelight IPL treatment, your brown spots may start to darken and your skin is likely to appear slightly pink or reddish in colour.
- The treated area may become mildly swollen.
- Swelling typically lasts a few hours – possibly a day or longer.
- Special make-up can be applied to cover the redness.
When will I see results from IPL (Intense Pulsed Light)?
- Within a week to three weeks, the darkened spots will flake off and fade.
- Diffuse redness or tiny vessels will decrease and your mottled complexion will improve.
Will the spots and redness reappear over time?
New brown spots, telangiectasia (tiny vessels) and diffuse redness may appear with new sun damage. However they can be be treated as required.
Remember to always apply broad-spectrum sunscreen when outdoors to minimise sun damage and the appearance of new spots and diffuse redness.
Next Steps: Book your Initial Consultation to discover what Limelight IPL or another light-based treatment can do for you.
- Book a consultation with one of Coco Ruby’s patient-focused Dermal Clinicians using the form below or phone us during Clinic Hours.
- You can also email us or Call on (03) 8849 1400 to arrange your consultation appointment.
Want more information before scheduling your skin consultation?
- Request more information about our rejuvenation procedures – send an Enquiry form
- Or register to attend one of our FREE Practice Events and meet our Skin Treatment Experts and our team of elite Melbourne Plastic Surgeons for face, body and breast
Simply send an enquiry form or phone (03) 8849 1400 during Clinic Hours.
Please also visit our COCO RUBY home page or visit our top recommended Plastic Surgeons blog pages for Sydney or Melbourne Cosmetic Surgery.
Please FOLLOW us on Facebook.
Pre & Post Care for Limelight IPL Treatments
Please be aware that there is 7-10 days of downtime with this treatment.
Results may vary from person to person.
In Vascular patients post treatment bruising can last for up to 10 days.
Hayley’s recommendations for IPL preparation:
Before getting your Limelight IPL treatment
- Do not wear makeup on the day of treatment.
- No sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Includes spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, sun exposure and inadvertent sun exposure.
- Some medications or supplements may increase the risk bruising. Consult with your physician.
- Avoid treatments that may irritate the skin for 1-2 weeks prior to treatment (waxing, depilatories, others).
- Notify the CLINIC with any changes to your health history or medications since your last appointment.
- History of herpes or cold sores may require an anti-viral prescription PRIOR to treatment for at least a few days (PRE-treatment and possibly POST treatment).
AFTER getting your Limelight IPL treatment
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen to prevent further sun damage.
- Bruising, redness and swelling are common and resolve with time.
- Pigmentation and freckles will darken in the 24-48 hours following treatment.
- A “bug bite look” is common and usually resolves in 1-2 days.
- Avoid heat – hot tubs, saunas, etc. for 1-2 days.
- Avoid skin irritants (examples below) a few days post-treatment.
- Avoid skin care products containing active ingredients such as tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents, others.
- Notify clinic of any concerns (blistering, excessive redness/swelling or unusual or concerning responses to treatment).
- You can typically resume normal skin care routine 5 days after your treatment.
- Exercise should be avoided for 24-48 hours post procedure.
Remember, all invasive procedures carry risks and results can vary from patient to patient. Ask about your suitability for a treatment and understand the risks, costs and down time before you proceed, so that you have a satisfactory experience and optimal treatment results.