Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT)
DermaPen Microneedling for Skin
Collagen induction therapy is also known as (CIT) or microneedling. It can treat everything from scars to skin laxity to ageing and sun damage, with relatively little down time. It uses micro-fine needles to stimulate collagen production and skin rejuvenation.
Microneedling is an excellent way to rejuvenate the skin, and despite it’s name (microneedling), it is often a fairly comfortable procedure to undertake for excellent rejuvenation and skin tightening effects. You can easily use topical anaesthetic and/or cool packs before your treatment for even more comfort during the treatment process and Healite II treatments after treatments. Multiple sessions are needed for best results, but unlike lasers, the down time is relatively minimal AND it can even be used safely on darker skin types.
In essence, Collagen Induction Therapy or CIT is a cosmetic aesthetic-medical procedure that involves puncturing the dermis (skin) with very tiny, micro-sized sterile needles in a pen (micro-needling the skin).
Used to treat numerous skin problems including scarring, acne, sun damage and ageing skin (skin laxity and uneven skin pigmentation). Unlike lasers, its highly effective and safe for nearly ANY and ALL types of skin, from Fitzpatrick scale 1 through 6.
How Microneedling or Dermapen works
If you have ever researched skin treatments, you’ll know that most of the medical or clinical grade treatments (as contrasted to feel-good spa treatments and limited facial peels) work by allowing for micro-damage – controlled trauma – to the skin, which then encourages new cellular turnover of healthier, stronger and firmer looking skin. Because of the skin renewal cycle where older, dead skin cells flake off as newer skin cells work their way up to the visible layer of your skin, the effects of these treatments are typically seen over the weeks and months AFTER your treatment, although you’ll tend to see some results immediately.
Controlled Trauma to the Skin – Small and Precise is Best
It may sound a bit scary and it can be risky if the wrong treatment is given to the wrong type of skin for that treatment, but in the right hands of a fully-qualified and experienced Dermal Clinician or Aesthetic Physician or other skin clinician, it is one of the most effective ways to get the skin renewal cycle to generate stronger collagen and healthier, firmer looking skin.
Essentially the key criteria for effective, safe treatments involving controlled ‘micro-trauma’ or ‘micro-penetration’ of the skin are:
- Control of the depth
- Control of the size of the penetrating device or implement. With CIT the penetration is micro-fine needles. With Laser it’s usually ablative or non-ablative laser energy (powerful light beams) that is typically broken up to many smaller lights (such as fine DOT points in DOT Therapy, for example).
Dermapen and CIT Treatments (Collagen Induction Therapy)
As an anti-ageing device that is non-surgical, Collagen Induction Therapy (Dermapen Microneedling) is an effective and sought-after treatment that can rejuvenate the skin and reduce prior scars from surgery, acne or stretch marks. It can be used nearly anywhere on the face and body.
Here’s a snapshot of the CIT Microneedling treatment.
- CIT or microneedling skin procedures involve the use of a specialized device (a Microneedling pen with or without Radio Frequency or RF).
- During the treatment, your Dermal Clinician or Aesthetic Physician would either move or roll a micro-needling device (at Coco Ruby it’s the fantastic Dermapen device) over the areas to be treated.
- The microneedling device helps your Dermal Clinician or Physician to carefully manage (or control) the depth of the penetration of the very tiny needles
- Controlling the microneedling penetration allows your Clinician to reach different layers of the skin
- The depth and treatment area strategies are determined by what you’re trying to treat – it allows for extensive control of the skin treatments so they can be customised to meet your needs.
- You’ll need at least 3 sessions, about 4 to 5 (up to 6) weeks apart, for best results.
Typical microneedling CIT treatment needle depths are anywhere from 0.5mm down to 3.5mm (typically changed in increments of 0.1mm to 0.25mm or 0.5mm depending on the device and how it operates.
Radio frequency devices are also available and when used, they can vary in Radio Frequencies (RF’s) from 1mhz to 2mhz or other specified frequency.
Needles vary in the type of medal they are created from; Some are actual Gold covered and some are insulated and non-insulted.
“Microneedling pens” are typically powered by a motor and can be adjusted for FREQUENCY (stamps per second) and DEPTH of the micro-needles.
DERMAPEN Treatments for Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT)
- A Dermapen uses a sterile, one-only usage cartridge of needles in a pen-like device.
- The fine needles are made of surgical steel.
- The Microneedles are adjustable from 0.25 mm to 2.5 mm in length.
- These Microneedles penetrate the upper (epidermis) and lower (dermis) strata of the skin at targeted and specific depths according to your Dermal Clinician.
Use of a Dermapen cause controlled microscopic ‘mini-wounds’ (which may result in temporary fine pin-point bleeding in the areas treated).
Creating these micro-injuries to the skin using a Dermapen (CIT/Collagen Induction Therapy) evokes the skin’s innate healing (and rejuvenation) responses.
At a cellular level, this increases fibroblast (collagen producing cells) activity and can really help your skin look fresher, tighter and smoother over the following weeks and months.
Give us a call today on (03) 8849 1400 if you are interested in having micro-needling treatments using Dermapen for Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) to:
- firm up slightly lax facial skin
- prepare your skin for facial surgery
- rejuvenate your skin
- reduce sun damage
- treat acne scars
- reduce stretch marks
- improve your collagen levels
You’ll be glad you discovered this highly effective collagen induction treatment and our expert Dermal Clinicians with extensive experience in getting you excellent results.
Send an enquiry form today.