Dermal Fillers & Facial Injections in Melbourne
Dermal filler injections are one of the anti-ageing treatments gaining popularity for use in men and women who want to restore lost volume or enhance a feature, such as having a non-surgical chin augmentation, lip augmentation or jawline enhancement via dermal fillers vs a facial implant.
What Are Dermal Filler (Dermal Volumiser) Injections?
Dermal filler injections are solutions that are temporary in nature, and are a form of acid not overly different to what the body naturally produces. The dermal injection treatment procedures can help restore facial volume where skeletal volume loss has occurred, including plumping up cheeks and reducing deep lines or folds within the skin. They are often best used in combination with muscle-relaxing anti-ageing injection treatments. Be sure to choose a highly skilled injector who understands facial anatomy and vascularity in the face to maximise your chances of getting a good result. Results from dermal filler injections can be long-lasting but the procedures tend to require repeat treatments around 6 to 12 month intervals. This procedure does involve some risks and be sure you understand these and choose a skilled injector before consenting.
- Permanent dermal filler is NOT recommended.
- You are strongly advised to avoid the use of any permanent facial fillers due to risks and complications.
Dermal filler injections are aesthetic procedures that help to restore facial volume loss and plump up deep lines and folds within the skin. Injectable fillers are used cosmetically to subtly add volume and improve the contour of facial features, restoring a more youthful and refreshed appearance. These treatments aim to address the volume loss resulting from the normal ageing process, which leads to the formation of wrinkles and sagging of facial soft tissue. It helps improve the appearance of ‘hallow’ areas of the face that lead to an ageing facial appearance. While it is most commonly used on the face, it is also effective in correcting contour irregularities in other areas of the body such as scaring.
Dermal filler injections are non-surgical procedures that involve injecting gel under the skin by a trained medical professional.
The procedure usually takes 15-30 minutes with results that can be seen immediately and most people can resume normal activities immediately after the procedure.
For increased comfort during the procedure, some filler products are specifically formulated with local anaesthetic.
How do Dermal Filler Injections work?
A smooth injectable gel is injected below the skin’s surface to “fill-in” wrinkles, “plump-up” small areas such as the lips, and “re-volumise” large areas like the cheeks. This procedure is often referred to as a “liquid facelift.”
With fillers, dermal volumisers provide subtle yet noticeable effects to plump up your cheeks or other areas of the face that have lost volume due to ageing or weight changes.
You can read more on this process on the Coco Ruby Dermal Filler page.
What will Volume Enhancing Dermal Fillers do for me?
Dermal fillers are mainly used for filling hollows and shaping cheeks, nasolabial folds, lips, tear troughs, chin, nose, brows and mouth corners.
- Fillers are a non-surgical treatment used to shape and proportion the face
- Dermal fillers revitalise and enhance your facial features
- Fills in wrinkles, plumps up lips and eyelids and can add volume to large areas like cheeks
- Fillers can enhance your lips, cheeks, jawlines and around your eyes
- Filling Deep lines to assist Facial Hollows and Gummy Smiles
- Mid face and cheek re-volumising
- Fillers effectively treat medium to deep wrinkles – reducing the appearance of wrinkles (anti-wrinkle injections can be used in conjunction)
- Dermal fillers are useful for the treatment of icepick scars, deep facial divots and boxcar scars
Dermal fillers can be injected into your face to correct fine lines, creases and folds, scars and loss of volume and are also used for enhancing lips, reconstructing noses and chins, jawline sculpting and non-surgical rhinoplasty.
The latest non-permanent dermal fillers are generally composed of resorbable a temporary-filler-solution of non-animal origin, which attracts water and creates plumpness. A temporary-filler-solution naturally occurs in the body and decreases with age. Unlike wrinkle injections, Dermal fillers have no muscle-relaxing properties.
There are several permanent dermal fillers available but we do not offer them.
Our plastic surgeons have seen the many problems of permanent fillers causing reactions and moving throughout face.
Our team believe that “permanent filler equals permanent problem”.
Where are Dermal Fillers most commonly used?
- Lips – for volume enhancement and also to treat fine lines around the lips
- Cheeks and nasolabial folds – these aim to reduce the depth of the creases and wrinkles in the area
- Around the eyes – particularly the “tear trough” area
- Nose and chin – subtle reshaping of these areas
- Brow – subtle reshaping and lifting
What are the benefits of using Dermal Fillers?
- Dermal fillers allow great precision in wrinkle correction
- Fillers do not affect your ability to contract your facial muscles
- Natural looking results – you’ll look great and feel younger
- Fillers are non-permanent and you can try different facial ‘looks’
- Fillers can be used with conjunction anti-wrinkle treatments or laser facial Rejuvenation to provide a complete facial revitalisation and enhancement
- You can take years off the look of your face
- Fillers treat deeper wrinkles that other methods can’t
- Fillers rarely cause adverse reactions
- Fillers can be reversed rapidly using injections that dissolve the filler
- Fillers are an easy non-surgical solution that may delay the need for plastic surgery
Dermal fillers are, essentially, facial volumisation injections that may help:
- restore lost volume to parts of the face that are appearing sunken or hallowed
- re-augment certain facial features or reduce facial and lip asymmetry
- reduce mildly sagging skin due to bone loss
- combat other skin-ageing effects of skeletal atrophy
Whilst temporary in nature, dermal filler injections offer skilled Cosmetic Physicians and Cosmetic Nurse Injectors the chance to help patients reduce signs of ageing AND enhance their features or facial balance.
Anti-ageing injections, such as muscle relaxers for wrinkles or dermal fillers, can be used as a cosmetic treatment or as a corrective measure.
- Dermal fillers are primarily used to balance features and reduce sagging by restoring volume.
- Anti-wrinkle injections, on the other hand, are also sometimes used as targeted treatments for other conditions such as excessive sweating, over-active bladders, TMJ or migraine headaches.
- These are non-surgical methods for facial rejuvenation and may have less risks than surgical Facelift procedures; however, there are two things to keep in mind.
- One, these ARE invasive treatments as these solutions are injected beneath the outer layer of the skin (penetrating the skin = invasive even if non-surgical in nature).
- Two, there ARE definitely RISKS to consider before consenting to having dermal injections. Read about these risks here and do your homework.
- Some risks of dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections can be prevented with sterility protocols, proper products and careful patient selection; but some risks are less predictable and cannot be mitigated.
- Some injections to the facial area involve so-called ‘danger zones’ where problems can occur.
- Be sure you understand that cosmetic injecting treatments DO involve RISKS and ask your Clinician for a listing during a consultation.
- Recommended Reading (Health enews at Harvard Medical School) on Cosmetic Injections and Dermal Fillers.
Cosmetic Dermal Filler Injection Treatments can be beneficial in helping to:
- reduce facial wrinkles and superficial lines (e.g., marionette lines, crow’s feet)
- reduce vertical lip lines (smoker’s lines) using lip filler or dermal filler injections
- improve the texture, luminosity and overall appearance of the skin (skin booster injections)
- improve tear trough area (under eye circles or under eye darkness) treated with under-eye fillers
- plump up your lips or even out a lopsided or overly-gummy smile with injectable lip fillers
- restore volume at the temples for a more youthful appearance
- add more volume to larger facial areas – like your cheeks or jawline to improve facial contours
- reshape some of your nose or nasal bridge with a liquid rhinoplasty (patient dependent)
- augment the chin to enhance the chin and jawline and remedy a recessed, weak-looking chin
What happens during Dermal Filler Injections?
As with our other non-surgical treatments dermal filler treatment can be effectively and comfortably performed in the relaxing environment of our treatment room.
The usual procedure for patients looking to lift and liven their face with dermal fillers is:
- You’ll speak with the doctor or nurse about your background and medical history at your initial consultation
- A treatment plan will be devised, which sets out how we can use dermal fillers (possibly in conjunction with other techniques and tools) to create the face that you want
At your dermal filler appointment:
- The dermal filler product we use contains a local anaesthetic that makes the injection comfortable.
- The area to be injected is marked out
- The dermal fillers are injected, and we apply cold packs immediately afterwards.
- Mineral make-up completes the look and allows you to resume your daily activity.
The procedure takes about 30-60 minutes in total, depending on the size of the area to be treated.
What happens during a Cosmetic Injecting Procedure:
- A micro-fine needle or cannula may be used to move the solution to the dermal layers of the skin; this is determined by your Injecting Clinician.
- The smooth injectable gel is injected below the skin’s surface to “fill-in” wrinkles, “plump-up” small areas such as the lips, and “re-volumise” large areas like the cheeks.
- For increased comfort during a cosmetic injecting procedure using dermal fillers, some products are specifically formulated with local anaesthetic.
- Numbing may be performed before, during or after the treatment including using cool ice blocks or topical solutions as well as anaesthetic within the injectables solution itself (or via other injections to numb insertion points).
- The procedure usually takes 15-30 minutes with results that can be seen immediately, although they will continue to become enhances as the filler gels with your existing tissues (allow a few weeks or months to see the full effects of fillers and don’t try to get too much done at once)
- Most people can resume normal activities immediately after the procedure.
What does a Dermal Filler Injection treatment involve?
Dermal filler injections are non-surgical procedures that involves our doctor or nurse injector injecting a gel-based solution under your skin.
- A good injecting Clinic will offer a wide range of different brands of dermal fillers
- They will also have numerous types of filler products within the major brands, as some types are better for certain areas of the face or lips than other fillers – a great injector knows how to choose the right filler and to place it in the right location to get a pleasing result
- The first step to a dermal filler appointment is a medical history and facial assessment
- Then your Clinician can work to assess the best cosmetic injections treatment approaches that are most likely to get you the feature enhancement or facial rejuvenation results you’re wanting.
Be sure you don’t have unrealistic expectations and understand the need for additional treatments over time (but many patients love the results, and even though they will continue to age, they can even look younger over time because of the right injecting strategy). Remember, while dermal fillers are a great solution for some patients, they are not a miracle solution.
What is the normal recovery downtime after Dermal Injections?
You’ll be able to return to work and wear makeup immediately afterwards, although we recommend you don’t commit yourself to any activities after your first-ever appointment.
Generally, any side effects, such as minor redness and swelling, resolve after 24 hours.
What should I expect after treatment?
Much of the difference you see after your initial dermal filler injection will be due to swelling; you should see the ‘real’ results after about 3 days.
What are the possible side effects of Dermal Filler injections?
- Dermal fillers and cosmetic injections have been used for many years.
- Clinical trials have shown that fillers are well tolerated by most patients.
- Dermal fillers have been used for many years, and clinical trials have shown that it is well tolerated.
- There are some risks and you will be provided with this information during a consultation, where you’ll be encouraged to ask any and all questions you have.
- All treatments carry the potential of unwanted effects and we generally recommend and use non-permanent fillers which generally last between 4-18 months.
- There may be some mild redness, swelling and discomfort after treatment. Uncommonly, there can be lumpiness and other cosmetic concerns. Infections and other complications are rare.
- Be sure to be fully honest with your Clinician about your health history, medical history, lifestyle habits and other factors that might influence your responses and results from a dermal filler injection session.
Reported dermal filler side effects can vary and may include:
- Redness to injection site
- Lumps and bumps
In most cases, these side effects are temporary and should resolve within a week.
In very rare cases, a patient may have a very serious or even life-threatening complication. Our beauty bloggers believe it makes sense to choose a clinic run by Surgeons or Doctors as a precautionary measure, rather than injections performed in store shopping centres, home lounges or pharmacy ‘pop up’ shops for dermal filler and anti-wrinkle injections.
Are there any reasons I should not have Dermal Filler Injections?
Our team will not perform this treatment on pregnant or nursing mothers or if you have a diseased skin in the area being filled.
Avoiding the ‘Filler Face’ Look
We commonly see patients that have had too much filler injected for far too long, causing an overly inflated look we call “filler face”. A face with the shape of a basketball.
Please avoid overindulging in fillers and “Filler Face” as one day you may need facial surgery to correct this.
Your aesthetic injector really needs to know when it’s time to consider plastic cosmetic surgery like an eyelift or mini-facelift.
NOTE: Overuse of Fillers is NOT a solution to avoid facial surgery in the long term.
How long do dermal filler injections last?
The results of dermal filler injections can last between 6 to 8 months up to 18 months. It depends partially on the solution used, the injection strategy and the person’s physique and dermal filler responses.
Plan to get a top up with dermal fillers, on average, between the 6 to 10/12 month mark.
Are Dermal Fillers painful?
Some patients prefer local anaesthesia to numb the area being injected to maximise comfort during treatment.
There can be a slight sting with the injection however the vast majority of patients find treatment very comfortable.
The small about of pain you feel can be significantly reduced by finding an injector with a gentle touch and choosing an injector that how knows to avoid the many facial nerves.
NEXT STEP: Book your Initial Consultation for Skin Assessments or Cosmetic Injection Assessments for Dermal Filler Treatments
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your rejuvenation consultation appointment.
- Read more about what non-surgical treatments involve including risks, recovery times and costs
- Book a consultation with our Cosmetic Physician, Tina Purdon, our Nurse Injector Sandra Wallace
- Or ask to see a Dermal Clinician for other facial treatments that do not involve prescribed medications.
Want more information before scheduling your skin consultation?
- Request more information about our rejuvenation procedures – call or contact us
- Attend our FREE Regular Practice Events and meet our Dermal and Cosmetic Team and their colleagues, who are some of Melbourne’s top Plastic Surgeons.