Nasolabial Folds – Injectables Treatment for Mouth Folds
Nasolabial folds are folds or wrinkles made with dense tissues and muscles that run from the bottom of your nose to the corners of either side of your mouth. Distinct nasolabial folds can create a tired and sad look on your face. They are often called laugh or smile lines as they are prominent when smiling or laughing, although they are not the causes of these folds. Their shapes and angles may vary but they may have a negative impact on your appearance.
For everything about Dermal Filler Injections, download our Injectables Guide today
Causes of Nasolabial Folds
Nasolabial folds can be caused by any of the following but are not limited to:
- Ageing: As you age, your body’s internal processes such as skin cell turnover begin to slow down. The dermis and epidermis also start to thin and the underlying fat can be lost as well. In addition, the production of collagen and other skin-firming proteins gradually declines which makes the skin thinner and weaker.
- Sun damage: Prolonged unprotected exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet light can cause damage to your skin. Sunlight dries out the unprotected parts of your skin and this causes wrinkles and changes in the texture and quality of your skin.
- Significant weight loss: Significant weight loss makes it hard for your skin to return to its original position, resulting in sagging, droopiness and loss of volume.
- Loss of muscle: The age-related loss of muscle and fat highly affects the tightness of your skin.
- Bone resorption: as we age, we lose bone structure which provides the face with shape and support.
- Smoking: Tobacco smoke contains toxins that damage collagen and elastin. It deprives the skin of oxygen and nutrients leading to oxidative stress.
- Sleeping on your side: The prolonged pressure applied to your skin by this sleeping position leads to the formation of folds and wrinkles.
How to Prevent or Reduce Nasolabial Folds
The natural ways to address ageing and to keep your skin looking healthy and glowing may include the following:
- Avoid smoking.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep (but not sleeping on your face!)
- Increase your intake of carotenoids from fruits and vegetables as they possess strong antioxidant effects.
- Perform facial exercises.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and fluids.
- Use high-strength skincare products that contain antioxidants, peptide and vitamins.
- Wear sunscreen to protect your face from the harmful effects of UV rays.
How Dermal Fillers treat Nasolabial Folds
Dermal fillers can reverse and prevent the signs of ageing. It is a cosmetic injectable treatment that works by plumping areas of the skin that present with volume loss or loss of support and structure. By adding volume and fullness to the target area, it helps make your skin appear smoother, younger, and vibrant. Fillers contain a naturally occurring substance in your body that is responsible for maintaining skin firmness and hydration. Dermal fillers can be injected using different techniques such as a needle or cannula for desired results.
Benefits of Dermal Fillers for Nasolabial Folds
- Creates a lifting effect by plumping up the area
- Provides structure, support and volumisation
- Produces instant results
- Improves self-esteem
What to expect after Dermal Fillers for Nasolabial Folds
After the treatment, you should expect the following:
- The appearance of fine lines and wrinkles will be reduced.
- The swelling will resolve after 2 to 3 days.
- Redness and slight bruising on the injection sites may occur- tis is only temporary
- You will need to sleep on your back.
- You will need to keep your head elevated using 2 pillows.
- You will need to avoid vigorous exercise for the following 48 hours
- You will need to avoid massaging the treated area.
- You will need to avoid prolonged sun exposure.
How much do fillers cost for nasolabial folds?
The exact cost of fillers will depend on the following factors:
- The amount of filler needed to achieve your desired results
- The type of filler being used
- Other areas that may require treatment to provide desired results
- Your injectors experience level
For more information visit the Coco Ruby Skin Pricelist page
FAQS about Nasolabial Folds
Can losing weight get rid of nasolabial folds?
No, losing weight might actually worsen it. When you lose weight, you also lose fat which causes the skin to sag, thus, enhancing the appearance of nasolabial folds. In cases where you lose a significant amount of weight, these folds will become more prominent. Your skin needs to be plump for those lines and wrinkles to appear smoother.
Can Injections help nasolabial folds?
Dermal fillers work by plumping the skin to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making your skin smoother and vibrant. They also increase the collagen in your skin, creating a younger, softer, rejuvenated, and rehydrated appearance. These fillers are non-surgical and produce immediate results with little to no downtime.
Do nasolabial folds age you?
Nasolabial folds do not necessarily age you but deep, prominent nasolabial folds can create a tired and sad look on your face which can significantly affect how others perceive your age.
Does Micro-needling help nasolabial folds?
Micro-needling helps stimulate your body’s natural healing process therefore increasing collagen production. Small needles are used to inflict controlled wounds which will then heal, resulting in much smoother and younger skin. It helps in creating collagen and elastin to plump the skin back to its youthful state. Collagen helps maintain the structure of your skin while elastin increases elasticity. Micro-needling treatments in conjunction with dermal filler can provide phenomenal results.
How do I get rid of folds around my mouth?
Dermal fillers can help fill in the sunken areas around your mouth while anti-wrinkle injections can help relax the muscles that cause folds and wrinkles. Other non-surgical options such as lasers, chemical peels and micro-needling can also help improve the appearance around your mouth.
What exactly are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers comprised of a hyaluronic gel substance that is injected into the skin at different depths to help fill in facial wrinkles, provide facial volume, and provide support to augment the face. These dermal fillers are temporary as they are eventually broken down and absorbed by the body.
How much filler do you need for nasolabial folds?
The amount of filler required will vary from person to person depending on age, severity of the nasolabial fold, and your desired outcome. A thorough consultation will be performed prior to treatment to discuss pricing, achievable outcomes and patient suitability for treatment.
What precautions should I take before getting dermal fillers?
Some precautions to take before getting dermal fillers include the following:
- Only trust a qualified practitioner
- Choose someone who specializes in the procedure
- Ask to confirm that the filler you will be receiving
- Do not drink alcohol before your treatment
- Please do not perform vigorous exercise before your treatment
- Come to the appointment makeup free (we will just remove it anyway!)
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day
Are dermal fillers permanent?
We do not use or recommend permanent fillers. Non-Permanent Dermal fillers will typically last 6 – 18months depending on the type of filler used and the area it is placed. The body will naturally start breaking down the filler over time and you will need another treatment.
What are the post-dermal filler aftercare instructions?
As it is a non-surgical procedure with minimal side effects, you can return to your daily routine straight after getting the treatment. A few things to avoid are touching the injected areas, heavy exercise, makeup and harsh skincare products, and alcohol. You will also need to avoid activities that can place pressure or tension on the treated area. Prolonged sun exposure, saunas, and hot environments should also be avoided as these may increase your risk of bruising and swelling.
Do getting dermal fillers hurt?
The fillers are administered through a series of injections. While it can cause some discomfort, most of the fillers contain a small amount of numbing medication which can ease any pain you might experience. We may also apply a topical numbing agent if required.
What could go wrong while receiving dermal fillers?
Adverse events will be discussed with you during the consultation process. Although these are rare, you must be aware of what can occur and what to do in such a case. This is why a choosing a qualified injector is so important!
- Medical Article – Treatment of Nasolabial Folds with Fillers
What do I do next?
Book a consultation with one of our injectors to discuss what options may be best suited for you!