Frown Lines – Causes and Treatments of a common Facial Concern
- Concerned about your frown lines?
- Are you developing more frown lines?
- Looking for a solution or treatment?
What are Frown Lines?
As you age, there are some inevitable changes that occur in your body, especially in the structures of your skin. Over time skin loses its elasticity due to the gradual decrease of collagen and elastin and as a result, you may develop deep vertical lines between the eyebrows commonly referred to as frown lines or glabellar lines. These unpleasant looking lines can also appear on the face, neck, back of your hands, and arms. While frown lines do not have a significant impact on your health, they can give you an “angry look” and a prematurely older appearance.
Causes of Frown Lines
Several factors can contribute to the appearance of frown lines, such as:
- Exposure to the sun or ultraviolet rays
- Repeated muscle movements
- Unhealthy diet
How to Prevent & Reduce Frown Lines
Collagen and elastin make up 75-80% of your skin. These are special proteins that help ward off lines and wrinkles. To prevent or reduce frown lines, the levels of collagen and elastin should be increased or maintained. To do this:
- Maintain proper hydration (ideally 2-3 litres of water per day)
- Avoid repetitive facial movements.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Use sunscreen daily (yes, every day!)
- Avoid exposure to UV lights.
- Maintain a cosmeceutical strength skincare routine.
Best Treatments for Frown Lines
Since these lines are the inevitable results of ageing and do not usually respond to natural treatments, you might want to consider non-surgical options such as anti-wrinkle injections, dermal fillers and regular skin treatment for better long-term results.
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections: This is one of the most popular non-surgical procedures for anti-ageing. This treatment relaxes the muscles of your face and reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Anti-wrinkle injections can reduce the appearance of wrinkles that are caused by muscle overactivity, providing a youthful and refreshed appearance. The treatment takes 10 to 30 minutes and may take 3 to 14 days for the results to become noticeable. Results will typically last 3 to 4 months, but results will vary from person to person.
- Dermal Fillers: This is a form of facial rejuvenation treatment that aims to add volume and fullness to the treated area. Also known as wrinkle fillers, it involves the administration of fillers that contain substances that occur naturally in the body, creating plump and youthful skin. Dermal fillers are injected in areas where of volume loss to provide contour and structure. This treatment typically last 6 to 18 months, depending on the type of filler use and the area of the face in which the filler was injected. Swelling and bruising is a common side effect, but will generally only lasts 1 to 2 days. To maintain the results, you will need to undergo touch-up treatments and recommended by your treating injector. NOTE: We do not perform dermal filler injections to the frown or nose at Coco Ruby.
Benefits of Anti-Wrinkle Injections for Frown Lines
Anti-wrinkle injections have the following benefits:
- Prevents wrinkles: The treatment can be used as a preventive measure to reduce the development of deep facial lines and wrinkles in the future.
- Produces speedy results: The effects are noticeable within 72 hours for most patients.
- Results in rejuvenated skin: The treatment relaxes the muscles by inhibiting facial muscle contraction, resulting in reduced appearance of lines and smoother looking skin.
What to Expect After Anti-Wrinkle Injections for Frown Lines
This is a quick treatment that has little to no downtime. Patients may sometimes note some of the following after an anti-wrinkle injection:
- Small “bump” at the injection site (usually resolving after 30minutes)
- Muscle weakness
How much does it cost to treat Frown Lines?
It depends on the type of procedure you want to do. Since you cannot eliminate frown lines through natural remedies or facial massage, non-surgical treatments such as anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers are worth considering. The total costs associated with these treatments may vary and will depend on several factors, such as:
- The severity of the frown
- The strength of the muscles
- The amount of anti-wrinkle injections required
- The number of areas needing treatment
- The number of treatment sessions required
Visit the Coco Ruby Skin Pricing Page for more information
FAQs about Treating Lines
How do you get rid of frown lines?
Frown lines are part of the normal process of ageing. Genetics can also play a role in the development of fine lines and wrinkles on your face. You cannot fully get rid of lines but are ways on how you can lessen them. You might want to consider treatments such as anti-wrinkle injections if you want non-surgical methods of reducing the appearance of facial lines.
Do frown lines go away?
Frown lines, also known as glabellar lines, are developed between your eyebrows and nose as you frown. In young, healthy skin, these wrinkles are only temporary and fade as it bounces back to its resting shape. But as you get older, you lose elasticity along with the skin proteins collagen and elastin, thus, creating lines that become etched in the skin.
What is the best treatment for frown lines?
For safe, immediate, and noticeable results, the best treatments recommended for frown lines are anti-wrinkle injections. These treatments can be combined with clinical skin treatments and cosmeceutical grade skincare to achieve the best, longer-lasting results.
Can you massage away frown lines?
Various facial massages may also help reduce frown lines. It can assist in softening the lines and relax the muscles on your face, slowing down the development of these lines. But softening the lines will not remove the frown completely, and once activating the muscle- the lines will return. Anti-wrinkle injections are still the recommended treatments if you want to reduce frown lines.
What really works on facial lines?
Non-surgical procedures such as anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers are proven to be safe and effective in treating facial lines. Their results can be seen in just a few days after the treatment and they require little to no downtime.
How often do you need Anti-wrinkle for frown lines?
Anti-wrinkle treatments usually last 3 to 4 months, and you will need to undergo injections every 3 to 4 months to maintain the results. But this will depend on several factors such as your age, severity of your frown lines, and the results you want to achieve.
What do I do next?
Book a consultation with one of our Injectors to discuss what options may be best suited for you!