Uneven lips or asymmetrical lips means that one of your lips is either shorter or larger than the other. While slightly uneven lips are not that noticeable and can only be emphasized when you speak, smile, or laugh, some may consider it a cosmetic concern. On the other hand, severely uneven lips can be frustrating especially if it interferes with how you eat and speak. Also, unevenness due to age-related thinning of the lips can elongate your face and emphasize drooping or sagging.
Download our Injectables Guide today
Causes of Uneven Lips
Several factors can cause uneven lips, including the following:
- Ageing: Your lip tissue becomes thin and droopy as collagen production slows down with age, this also causes your skin to lose its voluminous appearance.
- Muscle weakness: Underdeveloped facial muscles are usually weak. This in turn causes lip unevenness.
- Genetics: Facial asymmetry can run in the family.
- Facial trauma: Injury can leave some form of lip asymmetry due to scarring.
- Wrong sleeping position: Sleeping with your face pressed on the pillow can form facial distortions due to prolonged compression, shear, and tension.
How to Reduce Uneven Lips
The following are natural ways to reduce uneven lips:
- Try facial exercises: If the unevenness of your lips is a result of muscle weakness, facial exercises may help. Try holding the position your lips make when you whistle, hold it for 15 seconds and repeat 20 times a day.
- Sleeping on your back: This position helps avoid tension on your face.
- Use cosmetic products: Using makeup can help conceal or even out the unevenness of your lips.
- Get a lip tattoo: This offers a more permanent fix as it helps even out the lips by adding pigmentation and color.
How Dermal Fillers treat Uneven Lips
Dermal fillers can both fix and adjust the dimension of your lips. They can create lip symmetry or balance by filling the lip that is lacking in shape with a compound like hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally-occurring substance in your body that helps with skin hydration. Lip fillers can also smooth out fine lines and wrinkles around your lips, define the lip line, as well as, increase lip volume for a plumper look.
How Anti-wrinkle Injections treat Uneven Lips
Anti-wrinkle injections prevent communication between the nerves and muscles. As a result, the muscles responsible for causing the wrinkles stop contracting. This significantly reduces the appearance of wrinkles, thus, restoring the youthful look of your skin. Anti-wrinkle injections can also cause the lips to curl up, making them appear larger.
Benefits of Dermal Fillers and Anti-wrinkle Injections for Uneven Lips
Both treatments offer the following benefits:
- Little to no downtime. You can go back to your daily routine almost immediately after the treatment.
- Minimal to no pain.
- Minimal cost, in comparison to surgical treatments.
- Less invasive. In other words, only require injections no surgical incisions.
- Considered non-surgical treatments.
- The results of dermal fillers are immediate and continue to improve over time.
- The results of anti-wrinkle injections can be seen within a few days.
- Treatments can be done in a short time, making them ideal for those with a busy lifestyle.
- They can also help even out asymmetry of the lips, improving the overall appearance and creating a balanced facial contour.
What to expect after Dermal Fillers and Anti-wrinkle Injections for Uneven Lips
After dermal fillers and/or anti-wrinkle injections, you can expect the following:
- Minimal bruising, swelling, and redness that can last for a few days
- Quick treatment and immediate results with no downtime
- Volume can be controlled to achieve the desired result
- Visible facial symmetry
- Touch-up treatments are needed for long-lasting results
FAQS about Uneven Lips
Why are my lips uneven?
- Uneven lips are common. In fact most people have slight facial asymmetry.
- This lip condition can be caused by several factors such as ageing, genetics, muscle weakness, facial trauma, and wrong sleeping position. However, a severe degree of lip unevenness can be a result of an underlying medical condition.
How do you get your lips to even out?
- If you have slightly uneven lips caused by muscle weakness, facial exercises might help.
- You can also use makeup to hide and even them out.
- For severe cases, either dermal fillers, anti-wrinkle injections or a combination of the to offer the best solutions.
- Dermal fillers can help add volume and fullness to the uneven lip area, whereas, anti-wrinkle injections can help smooth out wrinkles around your lips.
Why are my lips uneven when I smile?
- Facial asymmetry is normal.
- Slightly uneven lips are not noticeable and are only be emphasized when you laugh or smile.
- Several factors can cause uneven lips, for example ageing, genetics, muscle weakness, facial trauma, wrong sleeping position, and underlying medical conditions.
Can lip fillers fix uneven lips?
- Dermal fillers fix uneven lips by adding both volume and fullness to the area.
- Whether one side of your lips is lacking shape or your lips lack dimension, lip fillers can help create a shapely appearance to match the other side and restore the youthful look of your lips.
What is the most attractive lip shape?
- Asymmetrical lips or 1:1 from top to bottom ratio was found to be the most attractive lip shape.
Can you fix an uneven face?
- Uneven face can be fixed with dermal fillers.
- Injecting fillers on your face can help correct asymmetry by adding volume and fullness to sunken areas.
- In addition, you can also achieve a youthful appearance because the presence of fillers in the skin stimulates the production of collagen and elastin. Both of these special proteins play a role in the maintenance of not only the skin structures but also its elasticity.
How do you fix uneven-colored lips?
- The color of your lips can be affected by several factors such as your natural skin tone, levels of sun exposure, and your overall health.
- Lip discoloration can also occur if you have a fungal infection, iron deficiency anemia, or an allergic reaction.
- To correct this problem, you will need to consult with a medical professional to address the root cause of your condition. However, if uneven-colored lips are caused by sun exposure or are present at birth, you can undergo cosmetic procedures like laser treatments or chemical peels.
Should you line your lips?
- Lip liners are intended to balance and fill in the uneven areas on the outer edges of your lips.
- It can also make the color stick and enhance the true color of your lipstick.
- Another benefit of Lip Liners is that they can create a big contrast to make your lips stand out more.
How do you treat discolored lips?
- Having discolored lips due to hyperpigmentation can be a result of either medical and lifestyle factors.
- Hyperpigmentation occurs when there is excess melanin (dark brown pigment) on your lips. This is usually a result of;
- Prolonged sun exposure
- Lack of hydration
- Or, consuming too much caffeine.
- There are some home remedies for discolored lips you can try such as applying lemon or aloe vera on your lips.
- You can also get a lip tattoo if you desire a longer-lasting effect and quick fix to your lip condition.
- If you want a cost-effective solution, you can simply apply lipstick to hide the discoloration.
Is an asymmetrical face attractive?
- Slight facial asymmetry can be considered attractive.
- Asymmetry is common and makes us unique.
How can I naturally fix my asymmetrical face?
- Everyone has some form of facial asymmetry and this is normal.
- It doesn’t need any medical intervention or treatment. However, if the degree of facial asymmetry is severe and is significantly affecting your self-esteem or quality of life, you can try non-surgical procedures such as dermal fillers to create a balanced facial contour.
- Aside from the lips, fillers can be injected into sunken areas of your face to add volume and fullness.
- This restores the youthful state of your skin while addressing facial asymmetry.
Can lip fillers fix a crooked smile?
- A crooked smile is characterized by drooping skin on either side of your mouth when you smile.
- This condition is caused by unevenness in your mouth and lip area, therefore, dermal fillers can be used to fix this condition.
- By adding volume and fullness to the sunken or uneven areas, fillers can improve the dimension of your lips to achieve symmetry.
My lips are still uneven after getting fillers, is this normal?
- After getting fillers, swelling can happen and it can cause the lips to appear uneven.
- This is normal and it will resolve once the filler has fully settled in your skin. However, uneven lips after getting the treatment can also be caused by the injection of too much filler in your lips. This can be corrected by either massaging the area or injecting a special enzyme to break down the filler and reverse its effects.
Is bruising normal?
- Minimal bruising is completely normal and is usually not a reason for concern.
- It will subside after a short time.
- To address bruising, you can apply an ice compress on the treated area.
How long do lips heal after getting procedures done?
- After injection of dermal fillers, you’ll feel normal after a day or two. This is because your lips are highly vascular, which means that there are several blood vessels present in this body area. For this reason, the lips receive adequate amounts of oxygen and nutrients from the blood which are necessary for the wound healing process.
What is the difference between dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections?
- Both Dermal fillers and Anti-wrinkle injections are cosmetic treatments that are administered through injections.
- Dermal fillers contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid which helps add volume and fullness to the treated area.
- On the other hand, anti-wrinkle injections use purified bacteria that inhibit the communication between the nerves and muscles. This mechanism prevents muscle contraction, thus, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Am I an ideal candidate for lip fillers?
- If you have uneven lips, you can try undergoing lip fillers.
- For you to be considered for the procedure, you should be in good overall health. It is also important that your expectations are realistic and you have a positive outlook.
Will it hurt when I get anti-wrinkle injections?
- You may feel a slight discomfort that is similar to a pinch during the process of injection. However, this is tolerable and lasts only for a few seconds.
- If you have a low pain threshold, the injector can apply a numbing cream to your skin before the treatment.
Who should not get anti-wrinkle injections?
- You are not a good candidate for the procedure if you:
- Are allergic to the substance used during the treatment.
- Have either a bleeding or clotting disorder.
- Have unrealistic expectations.
- Suffer from severe skin sagging.
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Or, if you have an active skin infection.
What precautions should I take before getting dermal fillers?
- It is of utmost importance that you choose a licensed practitioner to do the procedure. This will not only help prevent complications but it will help you achieve the best clinical outcome.
Do facial exercises work?
- Facial exercises do work, because they tone the muscles.
- However, you will need a lot of time, effort, and dedication if you want to achieve a balanced facial contour.
What to avoid after getting the treatment done?
- Side effects are minimal so you can go back to your daily routine immediately after the treatment. However, in order to achieve the best results, you should avoid the following:
- Extreme temperatures such as saunas and prolonged sun exposure
- Blood-thinning medications
- Touching the treated area
- Heavy exercise and other activities that require lifting
- Contact sports
At what age should I start getting anti-wrinkle injections?
- If you have noticeable wrinkles and you want to prevent the formation of new ones, you can start getting anti-wrinkle injections.
- In general, you are a good candidate for the treatment if you are in your mid to late 20s and early 30s.
Are there preparations before receiving dermal fillers for uneven lips?
- Before the procedure, you should avoid the following:
- Prolonged sun exposure.
- Taking either medications or supplements that can increase your risk of bleeding or bruising.
- Skincare products that contain retinol.