Nasojugal lines are the grooves/folds in the infraorbital region near the eye. The 2 to 3 cm depressed sunken space can give you a tired appearance as it leads to dark formation over the nasal lower eyelid.
Do Nasojugal lines Affect Facial Aesthetic?
These lines are formed due to depressions between the eyes and nose, starting from the inner corner of the eyelid, and reaching all the way to the lateral corner of the eye. In some people, this depression is a result of genetics, while in other cases, this develops due to the natural ageing process. Regardless of the cause, it will make you look tired, fatigued, and older than you are.
Download from Facial Rejuvenation Guide
Causes of Nasojugal Lines
Negative Vector Orbit
- This is a medical term essentially used for a condition people have due to flatter and underdeveloped cheekbones.
- Typically, the cheekbones are less protruded than the eyeballs, creating a negative vector than the eyeballs, leading to the formation of Nasojugal lines.
Orbital Fat Prolapse
- Orbital fat prolapse/herniation means that the fat underneath the eyes has become movable.
- Ageing and surgical trauma leads to weakness of the capsule that holds the fat mass.
- Men are more likely to develop Nasojugal lines than women.
- Ageing is one of those factors that contribute to the loss of skin elasticity.
- This means that your skin will lose the ability to hold subcutaneous fat in place.
- It leads to the formation of depression and bulging of the skin.
- This depression leads to the formation of Nasojugal lines that indicate ageing.
- Yes, there are some people who can blame their genes for the difference in the thickness of their skin which leads to Nasojugal lines.
- If nasojugal lines run in your family, you are at a greater risk of developing them over time.
- Individuals with a genetic predisposition to Nasojugal lines generally have more prominent lines which have the tendency to worsen over time.
- Some of us are more expressive than others.
- If you are someone who makes a lot of facial expressions, you will end up losing a lot of collagen in your face.
- Both smoking and stress can make your face look more tired and exhausted.
- They both lead to the breakdown of collagen in your face, leading to reduced blood flow, insomnia and inflammation.
- All of these factors will worsen the undereye bags which will make Nasojugal lines more prominent.
Prevention of Nasojugal Lines
As they say, prevention is always better than cure. While there is no science-based approach that prevents the formation of nasojugal lines, there are certain things you can try within the comfort of your own home to try and prevent them. I mean they are better than surgical intervention. If there is a slight chance that you can prevent it, why not give these a go:
1. Facial Exercises
- Facial exercises can help delay the process of ageing and prevent the formation of Nasojugal lines.
- You can look up facial yoga exercises designed to boost collagen and prevent Nasojugal lines.
- Some people swear by them. They are worth giving a shot at.
2. Prevent Inflammation
- Preventing facial inflammation will make your face look relaxed and prevent premature ageing, as well as, the formation of Nasojugal lines.
- A few things you can do to prevent skin inflammation include making healthy food choices, eliminating smoking and alcohol from your life, and timely treatment of allergies.
3. Exfoliate Your Nasojugal Lines
- Dry skin will make the Nasojugal lines look more prominent.
- Regular, gentle exfoliation will buff away the dead skin cells and encourage the growth of new cells. However, not every exfoliator is meant to be used underneath the eyes.
- Ask your dermatologist to recommend you one and use it as per the given instructions.
- Using the wrong product will do more harm than good.
4. Keep Your Face Moisturized
- There are specific skin care products available in the market that are designed for Nasojugal lines.
- While we don’t think these products work well when it comes to complete elimination, they can definitely prevent/delay these lines from forming in the first place.
- Such skin care products are designed to promote blood circulation and promote the growth of newer cells.
- Look out for products that contain retinol, hyaluronic acid, peptides, and serums.
5. Protect Your Skin from Sun
- We all know the harmful effects of UV rays on our skin. So, it shouldn’t come as a shock that they can also worsen the appearance of Nasojugal lines.
- Whenever you step out in the sun, wear at least an SPF 30 and try to wear a hat when you can.
- Use sunglasses to protect your undereye skin.
6. Eat Healthy Foods
- You are what you eat. You simply cannot skip healthy food options. Incorporate foods that contain vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Vitamin A.
- These vitamins promote the formation of new skin cells.
- They also help to prevent oxidative stress, giving you healthy, young, and firmer skin.
Treating Nasojugal Lines
Chemical peels are a great option for eliminating nasojugal lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin. They help get rid of dead skin cells and promote the growth of new cells. You might need multiple sessions to make your nasojugal lines disappear completely.
- Your aesthetician will clean the skin to ensure it is free from dirt and makeup.
- Then, a chemical solution will be applied to your face with the help of a brush, sponge or cotton.
- It is common to experience a mild tingling sensation as soon as the solution is applied.
- After a while, your aesthetician will apply a neutralizing solution or wash your face to get rid of the peel.
If you are getting a medium-strength peel, the aesthetician will use a cold compress after the peel application to soothe your skin along with a handheld fan. If you are getting a deep strength peel, you will be given an IV and monitored closely. Similarly, the procedure is performed in portions at 15-minute intervals.
Dermal fillers are a common choice of treatment for treating nasojugal lines. They essentially work by plumping up the area surrounding the eye, thereby eliminating the nasojugal lines underneath the chin. The results are almost immediately visible. However, they will last only for 6 to 18 months depending on the type of filler the injector uses. Restylane and Juvéderm are recommended for nasojugal lines and grooves.
- Prior to the procedure, your skin will be thoroughly cleansed to ensure there is no dirt and makeup on your face.
- Then, a numbing agent will be applied to your face to make the process feel more comfortable.
- The aesthetician will mark your face for the administration of dermal fillers.
- Then, the dermal fillers will be injected into the treatment site. The injector will inject, massage, and evaluate the result as he/she proceeds with the treatment.
- Once the treatment is done, your face will be cleaned to remove any markings.
If you have mild nasojugal lines and very sensitive skin, microdermabrasion is the best choice of treatment. It will get rid of the dead skin cells, improve blood circulation, rejuvenate your facial muscles and give you youthful and tighter-looking skin.
- Microdermabrasion is an in-clinic procedure that takes around an hour to complete.
- On the day of your appointment, you will sit in a reclining chair where your skin will be properly cleaned.
- The service provider will use a handheld device to spray the particles at the targeted site.
- These particles will buff away the dead skin cells and reveal fresh skin underneath.
- Once the procedure is complete, the technician will clean your skin and apply a moisturizer with sunscreen on top.
- Most patients will need multiple sessions to see prominent results.
A laser is also another great choice of treatment to eliminate nasojugal lines. There are multiple types of lasers available in the market. Most experts agree that fractional lasers are the best choice for targeting nasojugal lines.
- You will be asked to wash your face thoroughly prior to the treatment to get rid of any traces of dirt and makeup.
- Once your face is dried, an anesthetic cream will be used on top to numb the treatment site and make the process more comfortable. It can take your skin anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to become fully numb.
- Once your skin is numb, the anesthetic cream will be removed and a gliding gel will be applied to your skin.
- Then the surgeon will use a laser device across the treatment site to resurface the skin.
- Sometimes, a cooling device is used to minimize the discomfort caused by the laser.
Micro-needling is a cosmetic procedure that involves the use of tiny needles to create microscopic cuts in the skin that generates a healing response in your skin. After treatment, the aesthetician will use certain creams and serums that will stimulate the production of collagen even further. Over time, your nasojugal lines will start to fade away and overall skin texture will improve significantly.
- The service provider will clean your skin thoroughly.
- Initially, a numbing cream will be applied to the skin to make the process more comfortable.
- Then, a small pen-like device will be used to create microscopic pricks in the skin.
- The tool is moved evenly across the face to achieve an overall rejuvenated look.
- Once this step is completed, the doctor will use a calming serum or a cream on top to maximize the results and calm down your skin.
Anti Wrinkle Injections
This treatment option might not be suitable for everyone. However, if it is the right choice for you, the provider will inject a bit of Botulinum toxin between your eyes and nose. The toxin will target the muscles directly and relax the treatment site. Over time, it decreases the look of nasojugal lines. Most patients see the results in about 5 days. However, the results are not permanent, you will have to get the treatment redone approximately every 4-8 months to maintain the results.
- Prior to the treatment, the injector will clean and mark your skin.
- Then, they will inject it into the treatment site. If you have low pain tolerance, your injector may use a numbing cream (although, it isn’t required in most cases).
- Once the injector is happy with the outcome, they will clean the marking from your skin and you will be able to go home.
Although Nasojugal lines are definitely a cosmetic concern they don’t require an immediate fix. However, if your appearance is bothering you, there are plenty of cosmetic treatment options to help. The choice of treatment is dependent on the intensity of your nasojugal lines, your age, skin, and overall treatment goals.
The best way to choose an ideal treatment is to book a consultation with a qualified aesthetician or a plastic surgeon. They will analyze your face, discuss your skin concerns and then recommend a suitable treatment plan for you.
We hope you found this article informative and helpful! If you have any more questions, please call the Coco Ruby Clinic team.