Skin Care for Men – The Top Skin Treatments for Men
Men are increasingly concerned about making the most of their facial appearance and improving their skin, particularly in relation to online zoom meeting profiles and selfie-sharing. Here at Coco Ruby Skin Clinic in Hawthorn, we assist men from all walks of life to present a better facial appearance – from reducing acne or rosacea to reducing wrinkles with injections to removing crow’s feet and forehead lines. Here are the top skin treatments for men.
From Fraxel to Healite II to VECTRA imaging to enzyme peels and scar revision, we can help you get your skin to look it’s best through custom treatments and integrated skincare regimes. Not only do we stock some of the best cosmeceutical brands for men’s skin (including PCA, Cosmedix and DNA Renewal skin and anti-ageing products), but we also offer custom treatments using the latest skincare technologies.
1. Acne Treatments
Men of all ages get acne, including blackheads, pimples and acne scars. Our leading Aesthetic Physician, our top Dermal Clinicians and Injecting Nurses can help reduce your breakouts through providing light-based laser treatments including Healite II treatments, topical serums, deep skin peels, acne scar reduction Fraxel treatments – and deep cleansing products to help your skin look its best.
Skincare for Grooms (ask us about our Special Treatment Packages for men’s pre-wedding skin refinement or acne reduction)!
2. Anti-Wrinkle Injections for Men in Melbourne
The Australian sun is harsh.
In addition to being a skin cancer risk, excess sun causes a lot of aesthetic damage to the skin.
Many men have had significant exposure to the Australian sun by the age of 25 or 30. By the time they’re in their late 30’s, they may end up with crow’s feet, forehead lines, and deep crevices along their jaws or brow areas.
Fortunately, injectable treatments using muscle-relaxants and skin volumisers can reduce the appearance of deep wrinkles, crow’s feet and facial lines.
Other men have a bumpy nose or facial scars they want to be treated with dermal filler injections.
Alternatively, a Rhinoplasty surgery can get you a straighter nose or a nose size that is better matched to your other facial features in terms of size, shape or nasal bridge.
3. Enzyme Peels and Chemical Peels for Your Skin
There are many different types of facial peels that help rejuvenate and smooth your skin.
How a skin peel works is typically as follows:
- You’ll get a customised facial assessment including VECTRA Reveal high-tech photographs to demonstrate the level of sun damage or pigmentation issues
- A Treatment Plan will be formulated and scheduled (a few types might be able to be performed on the same day of your consultation but some require preparation)
- If pre-peel preparation is needed, this often involves avoiding using active skincare products and avoiding sun exposure before and after your peel (for weeks or sometimes months depending on the type and depth of the skin peel).
- On the day of your skin peel, you will be asked to relax in a reclining chair and the procedure will be described step-by-step as it is performed.
- Any redness can usually be covered up by natural-looking tinted sunblock.
- You’ll be given specific post-peel care instructions for your skin to get the best results
Read more about Skin Peels in Melbourne
4. Hyperpigmentation Treatments and Skin Cancer Removals
Along with wrinkles, hyperpigmentation issues and skin cancers are common problems for men who have been exposed to the Australian sun.
Hyperpigmentation usually occurs on the face, hands, arms and upper body, but it can also leave you with sunspots and ‘ageing spots’ on many areas of the body.
Skin Cancers can form anywhere on the face or body and are quite common on the face, chest, back and legs. You’ll want to get regular monitoring of any lesions, moles and sunspots to be sure they are benign.
There are numerous types of skin lesions, moles and skin cancers that may need surgical excision by a Plastic Surgeon.
5. Excessive Sweating (Hyperhydrosis) Injectables Treatments
Sweating excessively is known as Hyperhidrosis, and it affects both men and women. When you have hyperhidrosis (excess sweating), it can sometimes be an embarrassing problem that limits the clothing you wear. It can also impede your confidence in interviews and social events as well as in relation to intimate relationships.
More men are seeking treatment for hyperhidrosis by visiting our leading Injectables Clinicians at our Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing Clinics.
Our Clinicians can make a huge difference in how much you sweat on a daily basis. They reduce sweating for up to 9 to 12 months – using injectables treatments (micro-fine injections that you’ll hardly feel) that can significantly reduce sweating from your underarm areas, face, chest, hands (palms) and back. Some areas are more sensitive than others, but numbing cream and super-fine micro-needles can really help keep you comfortable – and you’ll really appreciate staying dryer under your arms or on your back, face, chest and hands.
6. Rosacea and Facial Capillaries – Treatments to Reduce Facial Redness and Red Marks
Redness or highly visible, bruised-looking capillaries on your face and nose can be quite distracting to having a pleasing facial appearance.
Fortunately, we have advanced skincare treatments that help reduce red marks and redness (such as occurs with Rosacea) on your face.
Ask our Clinician’s how we can help you reduce redness and ‘broken capillary marks on your face, nose or body for a more even-looking skin tone.
Skincare for men who want to look better than others their age
Advice for men who want to look better than their friends and colleagues of the same age
Men’s grooming routines have changed rapidly over the past 3 years. There are more options for men than ever before, including skin needling, light-therapy facials for men, eye bag surgery, acne treatments, skin resurfacing and cosmetic injections.
Find out what the future of Manscaping holds – and why more men are ‘going under the needle’ or laser equipment to get a better look!
Put your hands up if you’re a male and you wash your face, moisturise and apply sun protection (SPF) during the day……. Odds are that maybe 1 out of 10 men would put their hands up.
Unfortunately, there’s been a certain stigma attached to being male and looking after your skin.
But I’ll let you in on a secret…..ladies (and men) love a man who looks good for their age.
- Between the ages of 30-40, men seem to age quite significantly
- There are many factors that contribute to accelerated skin ageing in men….let me enlighten you.
Why most men look older than women when they reach the same age | Key Factors
- Men tend to be exposed to more sun exposure over their life than women of the same age
- Although changing in recent decades, many men played more sports (surfing, golf, sailing, skiing, cricket, soccer, hockey and tennis, fishing and camping) that led to ongoing sun exposure and skin damage
- They also tended to work in more outside jobs (think tradies, truck drivers and construction workers)
- And, in Australia, they love sitting in a beer garden and drinking alcohol!
- The list goes on and on
- Hence, men often look older because more men are exposed to more skin-damaging elements – including pollution, smoke and sun exposure – than most women; and/or they don’t protect themselves properly
- Worse yet, they justify the extrinsic damage by highlighting they “are just your typical Australian bloke”
That is – until his face starts overly-resembling his father’s or granddad’s face.
But when a man suddenly finds he’s:
- Lost his facial MOJO
- Impacted by unattractive sun spots or “liver spots” (face, arms, legs, hands)
- Noticing more wrinkles and eyebags (sagging eyelids) or a growing double chin
And the result is:
- he’s not getting as much attention as he used to
- AND/OR he wants to try attracting a younger woman or
- not look so much older than his current partner
He suddenly starts paying a bit more attention to the mirror.
That means, doing something about it – or risking falling behindi his peers in age appearance.
And let’s face it – no man wants to look older than his peers or younger siblings!
So…now that I’ve got your attention…
Here are some simple steps that can assist in keeping your skin looking and feeling young – basics of skincare for men
1. Wash your face every day
- Seriously, how many men work outside and get gritty and sweaty?
- Washing your face helps you get rid of the dirt and grime from the day – revealing a fresher looking face.
- Recommendation: Try Medik8 Surface Radiance cleanser ($44 AUD).
- This product has some mild acids to help gently exfoliate the skin when you wash, leaving it smoother looking and cleansed
2. Protect your skin
- Applying an antioxidant serum during the day will help fight pollution, sun damage and hydrate your skin.
- Try Skin Better Science Alto Defense serum $191 this serum boosts your skin’s environmental defense.
3. Apply sun protection with an adequate SPF
- Simply applying a moisturiser that includes sunscreen, daily (or a more potent product when you’re being active outside), helps you shield your skin from further sun damage and ageing.
- Try PCA Weightless hydration protection $76
4. Apply a Retinol-based serum at night
- Retinol-based serums will aid to stimulate collagen, balance out oil production and keep your skin cells turning over so that you can remain looking young and fresh!
- Try Skin Better Science Alpha Ret overnight cream $165 this product will rejuvenate, hydrate and reveal a more youthful appearance.
5. Consider a men’s facial treatment, skin needling treatment or injections to enhance your looks
- Does your skin look dull or tired?
- Are your eyelids saggy-looking or puffy?
- Do you have a double-chin?
- Is your chin weak looking or uninspiring?
The latest cosmetic treatments or surgeries for men can reduce your eye bags, minimise your sunspots and skin discolourations, reduce old acne scars and give you a much fresher, younger look.
Plus, you can now reduce the double-chin with either chin-fat reduction injections or with a chin implant and neck lift!
Visit these pages:
So to all the men out there, don’t neglect your skin.
Make the effort because your skin – and your partners will thank you!
- Plus, too much sun damage is dangerous.
- It leads to melanoma, which means you could end up with skin needing to be cut away from your nose, face, ears and arms or body – or worse yet, a fatal medical condition!
Take home message: It pays to take care of your skin!
For more on men’s cosmetic surgery procedures, visit Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery.
For more on skincare options or facials for men, phone us on (03) 8849 1400 or send an enquiry form to schedule a confidential consultation with our skincare and injecting experts.
Recently, Dr Craig Rubinstein FRACS (Specialist Plastic Surgeon) had a facial for men. Follow him on Facebook or Instagram to find out what he thought!