Facial contouring using Dermal Fillers – How to Look Younger and replace lost volume
So what do you need to know before you get Dermal filler? If you haven’t tried facial contouring with fillers yet, you might be tempted. Because when done properly, facial fillers can do so much to enhance your appearance and reduce the signs of ageing – with little to ZERO downtime.
Dermal Fillers – Uses and Benefits of Fillers for Facial Contouring and Rejuvenation
Whilst temporary, the results can last for months or even a year and potentially longer. Furthermore, the results are so natural looking that only a highly experienced eye will be able to tell that you’ve enhanced your appearance.
What are Dermal Fillers and why are they popular?
With an increase in public awareness and wider acceptance of cosmetic facial contouring and enhancement procedures, dermal fillers have gained immense popularity over recent years. Women and men are seeking the treatment to reduce lines, crow’s feet and facial wrinkles, elevate their cheek bones, or redefine their lips and jawlines.
Fillers are popular primarily because they are temporary and affordable.
They have little if any down time, yet offers genuinely pleasing facial improvements that can also be long-lasting when properly administered.
Overview of Facial Fillers (Dermal Volumisers)
- Fillers are excellent as a temporary option to improve the appearance of your face (lips, cheeks, eyes, jawline)
- They can reduce the appearance of ageing or bone atrophy (such as when your cheek bones or jawline become less defined as you age)
- They can also be used to reduce scars or indentations in your skin, such as:
Costing only a fraction of a face lift, fillers offer a temporary – but impressive – solution to combat the tell tale signs of aging that appear earlier than expected.
So if you’re contemplating getting filler(s) injected, it’s most likely going to be for the following reasons:
- Facial contour enhancement (cheeks, jawline, chin)
- Enhance your lip proportions (plump thin lips to improve your smile)
- Getting rid of crow’s feet around your eyes
- Reduction of superficial wrinkles
- Adjustment of thin lines
- Minimising any facial scars
- Softening of facial creases
- Creating a balanced & more rejuvenated look
- Reducing the ‘Tear Troughs’ that present with age
- Balancing out mild asymmetry between the two sides of your face or sides
- Correcting a lopsided smile or remedying very uneven lips
As one of several minimally-invasive (non-surgical) options to help improve one’s appearance, dermal filler solutions DO attract people of a wide range of ages, just as other skin treatments do (peels, laser treatments and light-based therapies). And more men are now using them after seeing the results their partner’s have gotten from injectables treatments, especially men over the age of forty who find they are competing with younger candidates for career positions OR who want to stay looking as young as their partners.
Plus, with advancing injectables strategies (and a choice of different filler types), fillers can now be used in so many different ways.
How can Fillers help Facial Contouring?
Dermal Volumisers: How, exactly, are Dermal Fillers used to contour your face?
Fillers are administered either as a stand-alone procedure (non-surgical) or delivered in combination with facial enhancement surgery for a more thorough facial rejuvenation effect.
Dermal Fillers are essentially facial skin VOLUMISERS (liquids) delivered by micro-injections.
Injectable Clinicians will use either super-fine needles (or micro-fine cannulas) to inject the temporary
filler solution into your skin.
The results can last anywhere from a few months to up to 9 to 12 months – or sometimes even longer, depending upon:
- filler product and volume used
- injectables brand/solution
- where the solution is injected
- how the solution is injected
- whether or not you choose to ‘top up’ fillers over time
- how other procedures and external influences impact your skin and facial appearance
The Injecting Strategy that your Injector uses – such as type of filler, volume, delivery and injection locations – is crucial to getting a great outcome.
So know that Filler Brands are NOT all alike
Dermal volumisers come in many different brands. The quality between brands of filler can differ tremendously.
- The best ones are temporary and can be used to help better define – e.g., contour and plump – certain aspects of your face.
- Some fillers are excellent for enhancing the cheek bones, for example, and others for lips or for filling in wrinkles or scars
- You can ask your Clinician what brand(s) they use during your initial consultation
- Ask which Brands and product lines they would choose for different areas of your face and ask why your Clinician prefers these over other brand(s)
- If the fillers are offered at a huge discount, be sure to ask why (and what Brand) – do your homework
- Please note: Australian laws prohibit the use of printing Injectable BRAND names but a great Injecting Clinician should have thorough knowledge of many different filler products – and be able to articulate WHY they are choosing specific ones for your facial enhancement
Injected properly by an experienced Injecting Nurse/Clinician or Aesthetic Physician, fillers and anti-wrinkle injections can have a highly transformative impact on your facial features.
- Common areas for Injectable Treatments seem to be expanding as technologies and products improve, but current common treatment areas of the face include:
- lip enhancement & smile enhancement
- cheek enhancement
- forehead (wrinkle reductions)
- jawline definition (restoration of a stronger jawline)
- minor chin augmentation
- Fillers can also help fill in skin creases (or wrinkles and crows feet around the eyes if done very carefully)
- Fillers can help add or restore volume to areas of the face that now appear hollow or ‘sunken in’ after age-related atrophy of the underlying bones or tissues (this can also result from weight loss).
So with women and men discovering just how much FILLERS (dermal volumisers) can help improve their facial features and give their faces a younger, more harmonious appearance, there’s a lot more ‘filler use’ going on today than ever before.
Not every filler is appropriate for your specific concern, and not every Injector will get you a great result.
Educate yourself BEFORE you decide to get injection treatments, and be sure you choose a very experienced injector – otherwise you could risk not liking – or even being dismayed by – what you see in your mirror after your treatment.
We cover this in several other blogs, but successful and safe injecting treatments require a scientific – and artisan – approach. This means your injector should be HIGHLY skilled and very experienced (our Hawthorn Senior Nurse Injectors have two decades of injecting experience – no juniors – and we also have Dr Tina Purdon, a passionate cosmetic physician.
IT DOES pay off to have a great injector – one you feel you can communicate openly with and who treats you with respect – and answers ALL of your questions to your satisfaction. So choose your injector wisely and be sure to read about the injection DANGER ZONES.
This is what your Senior Injector Nurse/Clinician or Surgeon should be able to explain to you extremely well:
- what filler product(s) they will use
- how much they plan to use
- specifically where they will be injecting them (and how)
- how many times they have performed the treatment for the areas of the face you’re having treated
- what the potential results will be – and what risks there are in the procedure
- how they would be able to handle any complications, if they were to occur
- whether or not the injectables can get you the results you’re wanting
An excellent Injector doesn’t ONLY aim at getting the procedure completed for you – they’ll also make sure that you have realistic expectations, are well-informed about each and every aspect of your procedure – and, when treating a RISKY facial ZONE – that you understand the risks and how these will be minimised or managed.
Whether it’s a surgical cosmetic procedure or a 20-minute non-surgical injectables treatment for your lips, please make sure you’re well informed and confident about your Clinician before you embark on the procedure.
If you stay up to date with advances in cosmetic injections, treatments and non-surgical options, you’ll be aware that there are newer, scientifically advanced injecting options for people who want to reshape a facial feature or reduce the signs of ageing. Read our blog about the latest advances in cosmetic injections: the new Dermal Fillers.
New Dermal Fillers – Latest Advances in Cosmetic Injections and Non-Surgical Facial Rejuvenation
You may think that most dermal filler brands or anti-wrinkle injections are pretty much alike. But our Coco Ruby Senior Injecting Clinician, Sandra Wallace RN (Div 1), knows firsthand that there are a wide range of dermal filler brands, with unique properties that good Injecting Clinicians can use to great advantage.
“They are certainly NOT equal in reducing wrinkles or enhancing facial features,” notes Sandra, who reviews the advantages of the latest dermal fillers available in Australia today.
New Dermal Fillers: Why Coco Ruby’s Cosmetic Injecting Clinicians are excited to have access to the latest cosmetic injecting technologies, filler substances and techniques.
There are new fillers and wrinkle treatments on the market now, that have advanced facial contouring and wrinkle treatment properties. One of these dermal filler solution brands is particularly renowned for getting results that allow for natural looking facial movements, rather than the ‘frozen’ overly-relaxed look; yet with less wrinkles and fewer lines.
In order, these new dermal fillers brands, combined with the latest cosmetic injection techniques, can be used to:
- augment the lips with greater precision to increase the lip size, improve the shape of the lips, even up the lips or reduce a ‘gummy looking’ smile
- relax vertical or horizontal facial lines in the brow area without the ‘frozen forehead’ look
- reduce shadows and hallows under the lower eyelid area (reducing dark under eye shadows in the tear trough area)
These new fillers have unique properties that optimise injecting results when Clinicians aim to:
- improve the look of the eye lids or brow areas (lifting or enhancing the brows, reducing crow’s feet or under eye dark shadows or eye bags)
- enhance other facial features such as cheek augmentation, chin augmentation or jawline enhancement
- fill in the temple area and other facial areas that have lost volume and/or skeletal support
- reduce above lip lines or marionette lines
- remedy facial scars (combined with dermal resurfacing or laser treatments)
So what’s the go with the latest dermal filler products and advanced injecting techniques? How well do these new fillers work?
The advances in cosmetic injection products, particularly dermal fillers and wrinkle relaxers, covers three key areas of facial rejuvenation technology.
The latest cosmetic injecting solutions are now formulated in ways that give Cosmetic Injecting Professionals a greater ability to:
- augment and sculpt the shape and projection of the lips, cheekbones, brows, eye area, chins or nose;
- relax facial wrinkles and reduce fine lines without disrupting natural facial expressions
- penetrate and rejuvenate the facial skin at deeper, more comprehensive levels
Key Benefits of new cosmetic injecting methods and dermal filler solutions:
- Allows for dynamic facial expressions – but with less visible wrinkles.
- Allows for underlying skin rejuvenation and skin restructuring as well as facial volumisation.
These new cosmetic injecting solutions interact positively with your body’s own bio-chemistry, helping to increase your skin’s strength and improve your skin’s resiliency, elasticity and facial firmness.
All while adding volume in the places that will most benefit your overall facial appearance.
Advanced dermal filler solutions and newer injecting techniques: Professional Opinion of Sandra Wallace, Senior Injecting Clinician at Coco Ruby.
“It’s amazing what we can do now, with these scientifically advanced dermal filler products,” Notes Sandra Wallace.
Skilled Injecting allows a Clinician to help you REDUCE forehead wrinkles and fine lines, but still make natural looking facial expressions – avoiding a ‘frozen forehead’ or ‘frozen face’ appearance.
“A skilled injector can help patients reduce deep wrinkles yet avoid that overly-relaxed looking forehead – the ‘frozen face expression’ – because they allow for dynamic facial expressions rather than relaxing the entire area of treatment.”
“With a good injecting strategy and the right new wrinkle solutions and dermal fillers, the end result is that you can end up looking a lot younger, and refreshed, but not end up looking like a facial zombie.’
Plus – as our blogging experts have discovered, even the SKIN ends up looking better with these new filler and anti-wrinkle formulations.
Key reasons these new dermal fillers and wrinkle treatments work so much better than other types?
- These advanced technology dermal fillers, now available in Australia, don’t simply volumise areas of the face – they allow for precision feature sculpting.
- They also tend to work better to rejuvenate the skin than most cheaper injecting substances. Not simply because wrinkles become reduced, but because of the combined interactions at the dermal level – they are reduced at more comprehensive levels of facial dynamics.
- So these new fillers can have genuine skin rejuvenation effects that are longer lasting; they rejuvenate and revitalise the underlying dermal structures as well as reduce wrinkles.
The latest wrinkle relaxing strategies combine new dermal filler treatments and advanced injecting strategies with skin rejuvenation to reduce lines, relax wrinkles and rejuvenate the skin – all in one or two easy sessions.
- They are particularly effective in treating previously hard-to-treat areas, such as those under-eye hallows or lost volume in the cheek bone or eye and brow area.
- They are rapidly becoming a favourite ‘go to’ injecting solution for people who want an overall rejuvenation effect, not just more facial volume.
New dermal filler brands – filler properties and benefits for patients:
- New dermal fillers come in differing consistencies that allow for easier injecting and moulding
- Massaging the filler-treated area also helps them have a better volumisation effect, because they have good interactive properties with existing cells and structures
- They are fabulous for treating the under-eye area and can help remedy dark shadows under the eyes, or hallows around the eyes, cheekbones or temples
- They have combined skin rejuvenation properties in addition to volumisation – and because they are injected, they have greater impact on facial rejuvenation than topical solutions (similar to skin booster injection treatments but potentially more powerful)
Read our related Plastic Surgery Blogs and our Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing Blogs including:
Senior Injector Nurse Sandra’s blog on A Faster Facelift: The Liquid Alternative.
Our Coco Ruby Skin Team blog on Facial Fillers – Top 5 Danger Zones
Medical References and further reading: