Do and Don’ts of Dermal Filler – Things to Know Before Fillers and After Fillers
As we age, so does our skin and the internal structures of our face. Over time our bones start to atrophy, our fat pads shrink and descend down our face (hello jowls!) and the skin loses moisture, elasticity and collagen. These ageing processes result in volume loss, wrinkles and fine lines. Luckily, there are ways to get your youthful looks back without surgery. This is achieved through dermal fillers. Dermal fillers can restore the youth of your skin by adding volume, supporting the structures of the face and eliminating fine lines and wrinkles. Dermal fillers have the potential to take years off of your face, making you appear radiant, rested and more refreshed.
Download your Free 20 page Injectables Guide about Injectable Treatments in Melbourne
It is important to note that dermal fillers can carry certain risks. These risks can be lessened or prevented through the right preparation and patient care. Below is a complete guide of dos and don’ts that will help make your injectables process run smoothly. Our Coco Ruby Cosmetic Injecting team is Sandra Wallace, Senior Injecting Nurse and Jessie Anderson, Registered Nurse Injector.
A reputable injector matters
There are many different types of fillers on the market. As much as the type and quality of dermal filler matters, a reputable injector matters the most.
No two people are born the same or age the same way- the ageing process can also be influenced by multiple lifestyle factors such as sun exposure and tobacco use to name only two. If you look at your face, you will notice that the two sides of your face are not identical. One eye might have heavy crow’s feet (normally your driver’s side by the way, from sun damage!!) while the other eye might just be droopy. If you look closely, your laugh lines might be more pronounced on one side than the other. It is all normal but it makes the job of the dermal filler injector very individualized.
The consultation process is a big part of how we can provide balance and natural-looking results. Using the right amount of filler in the right spot does the trick! Sounds quite simple- but it isn’t. That’s where an experienced injector comes in. Always go for one who has years of experience and knows his/her craft. It takes a keen aesthetic eye and solid knowledge of anatomy to provide beautiful results, not just a few quick jabs of the syringe!
Always plan in advance
Whether you have been considering getting dermal fillers for a while or this idea just popped into your head, it’s time to consider your options.
Never feel rushed into making a decision- at the end of the day, this is still a medical procedure that needs to be performed by a registered healthcare professional. Planning will make you feel prepared and ready to dive into it. If you want to get fillers before a big event; wedding, graduation, it’s wise to plan a few months before. This time will allow the practitioner to access your skin and suggest a plan that will subtly change your looks over time and make the desired changes effectively.
Making drastic changes to your appearance just before the big day can do more harm than good! Moreover, if you don’t like the results, you can always ask your practitioner to make alterations.
Pre and post-treatment care is very important
Once you have decided that dermal filler is the right choice for you, your practitioner will hand over a list of DO’s and DON’Ts to help prepare you for your treatment. Make sure to follow all the instructions thoroughly as this will ensure you are not only prepared for the treatment but will also lessen any risks that may be associated with it.
Pre Treatment Do’s
- Make sure you understand what treatment you are having and the associated risks involved
- Have antivirals handy if you suffer from cold sores and take them as a prophylaxis
- Let your practitioner know about any medications you take regularly or occasionally, even supplements.
- Stay hydrated. Being hydrated is generally good for your health and your fillers will love some hydration too.
- Take an Arnica supplement leading up to your treatment if you are prone to bruising. It is known for reducing bruising while promoting healthier blood circulation.
Post Treatment Do’s
- Expect some form of swelling and bruising. This can last from a few days to a week or 2, at the end of the day you are having needles put in your skin! So, plan your schedule or big events accordingly.
- Contact your practitioner if you experience any prolonged pain, abnormal bruising, excessive swelling or anything that is cause for concern.
- Ice the area intermittently after your treatment. This will assist in reducing swelling and any discomfort. However, do not apply ice directly to the treatment site; cover it in a Fibrella (Facial Wipe) or towel.
Pre Treatment Dont’s
- DO NOT wear makeup to your appointment- we’re only going to remove it anyway!
- DONT have dermal fillers while you are pregnant or lactating. It is wise to wait until breastfeeding has ceased.
- DO NOT take any over the counter blood-thinning medications such as Ibuprofen, Aleve, Aspirin, and other pain relievers a few days prior to your treatment. If you are not sure which medication to avoid, always consult with your practitioner. If you take certain medication regularly, discuss with your injector whether it’s suitable for you or not.
- DO NOT consume any kind of herbal supplements a week before the appointment, such as St John’s Wort. Ideally, your injector should give you a list of supplements to avoid.
- DONT consume alcohol 24-48 hours before getting dermal fillers. They increase your chances of bruising.
- DO NOT engage in vigorous exercise the day before/ day of your injectable treatment.
- DO NOT step out of the home without wearing sunscreen; if you’re spending money on injectables, the easiest way to prevent further ageing is to protect yourself from the sun!
Post Treatment Dont’s
- DO NOT touch the treated area- this can lead to infection.
- DO NOT consume alcohol for 48 hours after getting dermal fillers. Alcohol increases the likelihood of bruising.
- DONT exercise immediately after getting the dermal fillers. Avoid exercise 48 hours after the treatment as it increases blood flow, nudges tissues and can increase your risk of bruising.
- DO NOT massage the treated area for 1 week- this includes facials and facial waxing!
- DONT wear makeup for 24 hours after treatment. If you must wear makeup- we recommend a lightweight mineral makeup such as Jane Iredale.
- As above, DO NOT step out of the home without wearing sunscreen
Dermal Fillers are an incredible treatment and can give some absolutely amazing results. Following these instructions is the best way to ensure you get optimal results from your filler treatment. Always take your time to make the right decision and follow all the pre and post-care instructions, as they are there for a reason.
FAQ’s about Filler
What should you NOT do before dermal fillers?
- As a general rule of thumb, avoid;
- Alcohol consumption
- Blood-thinning medications
- Herbal supplements
- Over the counter painkillers.
- And, vigorous exercise the day before and the day of treatment.
What does it feel like to get fillers?
- Your injector will use a compounded numbing cream to reduce any pain during the procedure. There is also a numbing agent in the filler itself to make the treatment more comfortable. You may feel slight discomfort during the treatment and swelling is a normal response, these can both be alleviated by applying ice to the area intermittently post-treatment.
Do fillers ruin your face?
- No, fillers are meant to enhance your face. They work by contouring and replacing volume loss. Make sure you invest your time in finding the right injector who will thoroughly analyze your face and come up with an appropriate treatment plan.
Does drinking water help fillers?
- Yes! Water is one of the simplest ways to keep us hydrated. Drinking water is not only helpful for your overall health but also for your fillers as it can enhance the effect of hyaluronic fillers.
How long does it take for fillers to settle?
- On average, it takes about two weeks for fillers to fully settle into place. It can take more or less time depending on the individual and what areas have been treated.
Can I sleep on my side after fillers?
- It is recommended not to sleep on your side for a few days after getting dermal fillers. Try to lay straight on your back, with your head slightly elevated to avoid any kind of pressure on the treatment site and to reduce swelling.
What to avoid after fillers?
- For the next 48- 72 hours avoid vigorous exercise, alcohol, makeup and blood-thinning medications or as recommended by your treating injector.
Should you massage fillers?
- Avoid massaging the treatment site for one week. After that, you can lightly massage the area to mould the product. Always consult your injector before going ahead.
Does it hurt to get fillers?
- It varies from person to person. However, most people report minimal discomfort with filler treatments.
Can I wash my face after dermal fillers?
- Yes, you can wash your face with a gentle, non-active face cleanser if need be. However, avoid intense rubbing or massage of the face.
Do fillers make you age faster?
- No, fillers do not make you age faster. They can actually make you appear more rested and refreshed!
Is 1mL of filler enough for Cheeks?
- Every individual is different and the amount of filler required will not be the same for everyone. The amount of product needed will depend on the level of volume loss etc and will be discussed with your injector during the consultation process.
Do fillers make your face look fat?
- No, not if you choose an experienced injector. A professional will place the fillers in a way that enhances your face without making it look “round” or unnatural.
What age should you get fillers?
- Whenever there are signs of volume loss or you wish to enhance certain features. Some individuals may wish to improve their features at a younger age to give the face a more contoured look, and the same may just purely want some help turning back the clocks of time!
Does filler stay in your face forever?
- No, dermal fillers can last anywhere between 6 months to 2 years depending on what type of filler is used and where it is placed.
Are dermal fillers better than Anti Wrinkle Injections?
- Fillers and Anti-wrinkle injections serve a different purpose. This is why it is common to use a combination of both, this gives our patient’s the best possible outcome. Fillers work on providing structure, contour and volume loss. While Botox relaxes muscle movement that creates dynamic wrinkles in the skin. This is why the two treatments complement each other so well!
Further Reading about Dermal Fillers
Download your Free 18 page Guide to Facial Rejuvenation treatments in Melbourne