What are Skin Serums?
The condition of your skin is vital to maintaining a vibrant appearance. Yet ageing, sun exposure, substance use and other environmental toxins – even prolonged stress – can wreak havoc on your skin.
Cosmeceutical products can be a saviour for your skin.
If you’re wanting to keep your skin looking it’s best, you might want to explore how SERUMS can give your skin a boost.
Or you might even consider combining a new serum treatment plan with the latest Skin Booster Injectables treatments – read more about SKIN BOOSTERS on our Blog.
Why Serums are Great for your Skin
Serums are popular skincare products which are often praised for their ability to hydrate, re-hydrate or target skin concerns.
But with so many different types and brands available, you can waste a lot of money on products that don’t suit your skin concerns.
That’s why it’s important to make an informed choice. Seeing a Dermal Clinician or Aesthetic Physician will save you a lot of product money in the longer run, as you won’t be throwing away products that you thought would suit your skin but didn’t actually help.
How do serums work?
A serum skin solution is a skin care formulation that contains ACTIVE ingredients (synthetic or natural) that have penetration ability to help make a difference for your skin, not just on the surface level, but deeper into the dermis.
- Serums are POTENT skincare products which you apply to your face and often your neck (even hands)
- Serums work by using ACTIVE ingredients known to benefit the skin
- Active INGREDIENTS are those which have a physiological effect on the body – that is, they physically do something, rather than just sit on the surface
- Each serum uses specific ingredients to perform certain functions.
- For example, anti-ageing serums use active ingredients which are known to minimise the appearance of aging.
- Other Serums might enhance cellular renewal or promote retention of skin moisture to prevent dryness
- Some Serums can help treat acne or reduce breakouts if you suffer from Acne
- Not ALL Serums are alike, but at the SERUM level, it usually means it’s a more potent product than, say, just a moisturiser
There is a serum for every skin concern, and endless active ingredients to choose from.
How do I choose a serum for my skin?
Not all serums are created equally, and not all serums will be suitable – or effective – for your particular skin type.
When choosing a serum, it is important to consider the following:
Purpose of the Serum Product
- Ask yourself if you want a SERUM for targeting skin ageing, dark spots, dryness, oiliness, acne or scarring?
- What is the MAIN purpose of wanting a powerful skin product?
Ingredients in Serums
Serums can include organic, non-organic, or a combination of organic and non-organic
According to a recent market research report, “Serums contain high concentrations of active ingredients, so are usually made to contain just a few active ingredients.” This report has also shown that there is a growing preference for natural and organic ingredients in skincare. While these kinds of ingredients may be trendy, remember that ‘natural’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘better’.
What we notice is that clients expect their skin care products to actually DO MUCH MORE for their skin than other products, and as quickly as possible – especially as they are investing in better looking skin.
We find many clients make SERUM choices based upon how effective the product is for their skin, and that this can take precedence over other serum parameters.
- Do you want the serum to be cosmetic or cosmeceutical strength?
The serums used at Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing are cosmeceutical strength and are made from high quality ingredients.
There is a broad range of serums available to address most skin concerns, so just ask one of our Team for assistance and attend a Skin Care Consultation to find out what may work best for your particular skin concerns or skin problems.
What is a cosmeceutical strength Serum?
Whilst it’s used a lot, there is actually no single agreed-upon definition of ‘Cosmeceutical’.
For the sake of simplification, you can think of COSMECEUTICALS as existing somewhere between a cosmetic and a medication.
They aim to improve the look of your skin, but aren’t regulated in the same way as medications.
But yet they are strong enough to make a difference for skin, and to potentially cause unwanted skin reactions if you use the wrong serums – or use the right serums but use them in the wrong way.
To be clear about what a cosmeceutical is (and hence, what a SERUM is as it tends to fall into that range), research published by Dermatology Times has indicated that a cosmeceutical product – to be considered as such – must:
- Provide an aesthetic benefit.
Examples include improving the appearance of wrinkles, or minimising dark spots.
- Provide a functional benefit.
This could be improving dryness, or minimising the severity of acne.
- Provide a potent dosage of an active ingredient, in comparison to cosmetic products.
That is, it has to have more of an active ingredient than a comparable cosmetic product.
How do I use a skin serum?
Serums can be used daily, and are a great step in your routine for deeply hydrating your skin.
Some serums are better off when used under your daily moisturiser or sun screen, whilst others will be best used on their own, at night.
Additionally, some active products (serums) may interact with other active products; so be sure you ask a Dermal Clinician what you can – and cannot – mix with your high potency skin serum.
Serums are also an excellent skincare product to use if you experience dryness during winter. They can really make a difference in how your skin looks and feels, especially if your skin is being exposed to harsh temperatures or indoor air conditioning.
Our COCO RUBY SKIN & ANTI-AGEING Dermal Clinicians are full of tips and special instructions about using SERUMS in the right way for maximal benefit.
Your Dermal Clinician will advise you how to use your serum for best advantage. However, in general, you might use a SERUM product as follows:
- Cleanse your face prior to applying.
- This is so that the product can penetrate or sink into your skin without having to get past makeup or dead skin cells – or worse yet, clog your pores.
- Depending on the product, a drop or two should be enough to cover your face.
- For most serums, it’s important to massage it in to your skin thoroughly, as it can otherwise leave your skin looking greasy.
- After applying, let the serum absorb fully into your skin.
- If it’s a day time serum, you may want to follow it with a compatible moisturiser (plus a compatible, suitable sunscreen, if the serum is applied during the day).
- Some serums must be used on dry skin (not on still-damp skin) – ask your skin care expert for details before you adopt any particular serum routine.
Cosmeceutical Serums: The COCO RUBY Team’s favourites
DNA Renewal, DNA Regeneration Serum
- This serum targets multiple of signs of ageing with one product.
- The appearance of fine lines, uneven skin tone and discolouration are minimised.
- This product is suitable for all skin types, making it an ideal serum for those who are wishing for youthful looking skin.
PCA Skin, Hydrating Serum
- For powerful hydration and to combat dry skin (or winter skin), this serum is highly recommended.
- It suits all skin types, and is particularly great for dry and dehydrated skin. It features ingredients to help restore your skin’s moisture, without feeling too heavy.
Cosmedix, Clarity Serum
- Oiliness can be the root of skin issues such as blackheads, visible pores, break outs, and acne.
- To balance oil production, the Clarity Serum is ideal.
- The combination of ingredients helps to decongest and soothe troublesome skin. This product can be used as a spot treatment, or all over your face.
Cosmedix, C.P.R. Serum
- This serum is best for those with sensitive skin, rosacea, or eczema.
- The ingredients help to soothe inflammation, minimise redness and recover damaged skin.
- There should be noticeable improvements to your skin with continued use and and negating the factors that aggravate your condition.
These serums, whilst fantastic, may still not be perfect for YOUR skin.
That’s why it’s good to have a skincare routine custom-tailored to you, your skin, and your lifestyle.
Our Team can recommend the most suitable, high quality products and serums to help ensure your skin will LOOK and FEEL its best.
To schedule a BETTER SKIN Consultation with our Coco Ruby Skin & Anti-Ageing team, just send an Enquiry form below (or phone us during Clinic Hours on 8849 1400 and ask for one of the Coco Ruby Skin Care Team.
Visit the Coco Ruby Skin SHOP