Finding the Best Skincare Routine
A skincare routine could mean a million things for many different people. For some, putting on a face mask once a week qualifies as skincare, while for others having a 10 step morning and evening routine is critical. Whatever your version of skincare is, we cannot deny its importance.
The right skincare routine for your particular skin type will make a world of difference. But how can you know which products are right for you? One cannot go about reading the labels and trying different products all the time as wrong products can do more harm than good and can worsen your skin situation. The best way to achieve impeccable skin is by visiting a Dermal Clinician and getting your hands on the right products.
Download your Free 18 page Guide to Facial Rejuvenation treatments in Melbourne
The Right Approach to Skincare
Your skin is your largest organ. It protects you from all the pathogens and stressors while holding your organs in place. It plays a much vital role than simply looking a certain way.
As you brush your teeth every morning and night to keep them from decaying, your skin needs care too. Following a good morning and evening routine will not only add to your aesthetics but can prevent you from serious conditions such as skin cancer. The right skincare approach addresses both cosmetic and medical concerns.
This is the basic principle one needs to follow while establishing a skincare routine.
What does a typical skincare routine look like?
Every skincare routine is different. What works for one person might not work for another and vice versa. However, there are certain elements that are a part of all skincare routines (the type and brand of the product can vary). These elements are:
The first step in any skincare routine involves cleansing the face. Needless to say, if you are wearing makeup, use a makeup remover beforehand. A good cleanser is one that cleans your skin of any impurities without stripping the natural oils off your face. There are numerous kinds of cleansing products; oil cleansers, gel cleansers, and cream cleansers. Your Dermal Clinician will recommend one for you based on your skin type and concerns.
A toner is another step that can be incorporated into a skincare routine. Toners are used after the cleanser to balance the pH levels of your skin and calm it down. Most people think of toners as an optional step
Serums usually carry active ingredients topenetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and target specific skin conditioins. “These are the products that will create change within the skin” says Sarah, a Dermal Clinician at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery. There are serums for practically every skin problem; dehydration, pigmentation, brightening, acne, redness, and much more. Your Dermal Clinician can analyse your skin and then suggest a suitable one. Out of all the products, this one is the most powerful.
Moisturisers act as a barrier to protect your skin from the harsh environmental elements. There are many kinds of moisturisers; oil-based, gel-based, and water-based. There are different moisturisers for day and night. Usually, the ones used during the day are more refreshing, and the night-time moisturisers are more nourishing.
Sunscreen is one of the most important steps in a skincare system. Cumulative UV exposure will lead to weakened skin, resulting in inflammation, hyperpigmentation, premature ageing and increase the risk of skin cancer. Do not skip on your sunscreen whether you live in cold or warm climates. An overcast day in winter can still have high levels UVA rays penetrating deep into the skin causing collagen degradation. Use a minimum of SPF 30 and make sure to reapply it every two hours. Spray-on sunscreens are great for reapplication as you can use them over makeup.
Regular exfoliating can help improve product penetration and stimulate cell renewal. Our Dermal Clinicians recommend going for chemical exfoliators including AHA’s and BHA’s as they are more gentle and effective than physical exfoliators. You shouldn’t exfoliate more than once or twice per week. This is not an everyday step.
Some Major Benefits
Let’s explore some of the top benefits of sticking to a skincare routine:
Reliable and Consistent Results
Like everything else in this universe, our skin goes through a renewal cycle. Over time, our skin gets rid of old skin cells and replaced them with new ones. This process is repeated over and over again.
The key is to work with the natural regeneration cycle of your skin. By adopting a daily skincare regimen, you make a commitment to refuel the largest organ of the body every single day. Over time, your skin will become plump, hydrated, even toned, and your skin struggles will vanish. You have to put in daily work to see consistent and long lasting results.
Slows Down Aging
Ever wondered how some of the celebrities seem to turn the clock backward? How some people manage to look decades younger than their actual age? Well, they stick to a skincare routine. There is so much a Botox and laser can do. But, to consistently look healthy and glowing over the years, one needs the right skincare regime.
Wearing sunscreen, using vitamin A and vitamin C products on your skin will definitely make your skin look youthful and healthy for decades to come.
Having impeccable-looking skin at all times can boost your confidence big time. We all remember our teenage years when our skin was spotty and made us super uncomfortable. Nothing is more annoying than piling layers of makeup every single day to look good. By following a skincare regimen tailored to your skin concerns, your skin will start to glow on its own, and you won’t need the help of makeup to look and feel beautiful.
It is an Act of Self Care
With our hectic lifestyles, we can hardly find time for ourselves which can take a toll on our mental health. Skincare doesn’t have to be a chore. It can actually be an act of self-care. So, before starting and ending your day, invest a little bit of time in yourself. Not only you will feel refreshed and rejuvenated, but your skin will thank you as well.
Prevent Skin Problems
We all remember coming from a long day of work, going to sleep without washing our face, and then waking up with a pimple. This is very common. If you don’t take care of your skin, wash your makeup off or moisturise it regularly, you can end up with skin problems. All of the skin concerns such as acne, pigmentation, and premature ageing stem from the lack of skincare. It takes a lot more time and money to fix skin problems than to prevent them.
It is a Mood Booster
Make a ritual out of your skincare routine. View it as a time to pamper and take care of yourself. It can be your special time during the mornings and evenings before starting and ending the day. Light up a candle, use some essential oils, and dive into products that will nourish your skin. Establishing such a positive routine will release positive chemicals into your brain and will make you happier. Whatever you are going through, no matter how busy you are, try to extract a chunk of time for your well-being. You will be amazed by the results.
Skincare FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions about the BEST Skincare Routine
Does skincare routine work?
- Yes, it does work wonders if your skincare routine works with your skin type and targets your specific concerns. Stick to it for a month, and you will start to see the results.
Should you do your skincare routine every day?
- Yes, you should follow a morning and evening skincare routine every day, religiously.
What is a good skincare routine?
- A good skincare routine involves cleansing, toning, moisturising, exfoliation, serums, sun protection, and targeted treatments for your specific skin concerns.
At what age should you start a skincare routine?
- As soon as you can. Don’t we wash the face of babies? Well, that counts as skincare. Immediately visit one of our Dermal Clinicians and ask them to give you a list of products you can incorporate into your routine.
Do I need a skincare routine?
- Everyone needs a skincare routine. It is essential.
What is a basic skincare routine?
- A basic skincare routine includes three steps; cleansing, applying a treatment serum, and moisturising. On top of that, daily sun protection and weekly exfoliation are also necessary.
How can we get glowing skin?
- By following the right skincare routine for your skin type and concerns.
Do you really need a moisturiser?
- Yes, everyone needs a moisturizer regardless of their skin type.
What should your face routine be?
- You should cleanse, apply a serum, and moisturise your face every morning and night. Apart from that, always wear sunscreen during the day time. Exfoliate once a week and use treatments that target your specific skin concerns (acne, uneven skin tone, etc.).
What is the best skincare brand?
- There are numerous skincare brands available in the market. Choose the one that your Dermal Clinician recommends. Make sure that the skincare brand you choose is free from nasty chemicals, preservatives, PPDs, and other harmful agents.
What happens if you don’t take care of your skin?
- You can develop multiple skin problems such as acne, dryness, uneven skin tone pigmentation and can eventually lead to premature aging.
How long do skin purges last?
- Skin purging can last anywhere between a few weeks to a month. Visit your Dermal Clinician if it lasts more than a month.
How do you tell if a skincare product is irritating your skin?
- If you are experiencing redness, dryness, and skin sensitivity, the product is not meant for you.
How can I get flawless skin overnight?
- The simple answer is no. You cannot get flawless skin overnight. Good skin requires time and dedication every single day.
Do I need both serum and moisturizer?
- Yes, you need both products because they have different purposes. Moisturisers simply hydrates and protects your skin and makes it appear soft and supple. On the other hand, serum targets specific skin concerns by penetrating deeper into the skin.
How can I identify my skin type?
- Here is how you can identify your skin type:
- If your skin feels dry after washing your face and appears tighter all the time, you most likely have dry skin.
- If your face is extremely oily during the summers and somewhat shiny throughout winters, your skin is oily.
- If your forehead, nose, and chin area is oily, but your cheeks are dry, you have combination skin.
- If your skin appears red and is easily irritated by most products, you have sensitive skin.
How do I start a skincare routine?
- The first step is to visit one of our Dermal Clinicians, get your hands on the recommended products, and aim at making skincare a habit.
What is a good face moisturiser?
- There is not one face moisturizer that fits all. Every skin type needs a different kind of moisturizer. Your Dermal Clinician can recommend the product which fits you best according to your skin type.
Do you wash off toner?
I Want to Start a Skin Care Regime. What Next?
Well, the first step towards starting a skincare routine is to book a consultation with one of our Dermal Clinicians. Our Dermal Clinician has a Bachelor of Health Sciences in Dermal Therapies, specialising in skin science and technology. During the consultation, they will assess the current condition of your skin, prescribe the right skincare products for you based on your skin type, concerns and budget.
You can get your hands on certain high-potency products only through prescription.
Going to the local mall and buying over-the-counter products will not do much for your skin. In fact, you’ll end up wasting a lot of money. So, invest your money and time wisely to get that perfect glow.
Contact us today and book a skin consultation with one of our highly experienced Dermal Clinicians.
Download our Free 20 page Injectables Guide today for everything you want to know about Treatments in Melbourne