Best Lip Filler Injections for the Ageing Lip and the Younger Lip
Dermal filler injection treatments aim to reduce the effects of ageing or improve facial contours (or both). Certain dermal filler treatments are popular with women and men of a variety of ages. Lip plumping, for example, with dermal filler lip injections, are a perfect example. But getting good results from lip fillers means using the best available lip filler techniques to meet the needs of each individual client, not simply pushing in the latest dermal filler and hoping for the best. Fortunately, at Coco Ruby Skin & Anti Ageing in Melbourne, one of our signature services is offering balanced, natural-looking and soft-feeling Lip Filler Injection Treatments.
Best Lip Filler Techniques for Cosmetic Injections for different types of lips
Lip filler injections are increasingly popular around Australia, and one of the most sought after cosmetic medical treatments around.
- Lips that appear more plump via lip filler can enhance your face and leave you looking sultry or with a come hither appearance, rather than a stressed, thin lipped or angry/pursed lip appearance.
- Plumper looking lips can even reduce fine lines (or smoker’s lines) around the upper lips for some patients.
- You can balance out the face or reduce an overly gummy smile (with some muscle-relaxing injections in the right locations) with plumper lips.
But there’s a problem with Lip Filler Injections using Dermal Filler
Unfortunately, too much of a good thing is typically a very bad thing. Never has this been more evident in the cosmetic medical treatment world than in seeing those overly-filled, ‘freaky looking’ lips due to over-volumisation.
It’s true that injectable lip treatments are also the most likely cosmetic procedure to result in ‘lip filler addiction’ or the ‘over-filled, too-large and freaky lips’ syndrome.
And if you like a fuller smile, but don’t want to end up looking entirely unnatural, continue reading our top rated blogs to learn more about Best Lip Filler Techniques – Treating the Ageing Lip vs the Younger Lip.
The trick to getting a good lip enhancement or lip augmentation using dermal filler injections is to treat the lip at hand – and younger lips need different enhancements than an aged lip.
Best Lip Filler Injection Techniques for Cosmetic Injections for the Younger Lip
Younger lips are naturally fuller than they will be when a person ages.
But some people are born with thin lips, or an asymmetrical (uneven) smile.
Lip filler comes in handy here; and most younger clients who want plumper looking lips prefer lips that have two aspects:
- fuller lips
- a distinguishable ‘cupid’s bow” at the top
Sometimes they want their upper and lower lips to look pouty, but a more natural looking smile has a thinner upper lip than a lower lip. If they are identical in size, they can look ‘over filled’ or ‘over done.’ Whilst this look is increasingly the ‘go’ on social media savvy celebrities, it can end up looking strange.
Or worse yet, lip filler injections gone wrong can look like a ‘puffer fish’ or trout mouth.’ It’s known as the over-filled lip or “freaky looking lip.”
How to avoid over-filled lip mishaps during lip augmentation
Avoid this mishap by making sure your injector is skilled with natural facial anatomy and facial balancing dermal filler injecting techniques as well as having experience in a variety of lip filler techniques.
Best Cosmetic Injecting Techniques for Younger Lips
Here are our lip injection commandments for enhancing the younger lip with dermal filler.
- A good lip injector will tell you what to expect.
- A good lip injector they will encourage you to go slowly so that you can augment your lips more, if needed, because they know it’s far easier to increase the lip size with a second injecting session than to reduce the lip size/remove lip filler after having it injected.
Most of all, a good cosmetic injector will not just enhance your upper or lower lip without first examining your entire face and coming up with a balanced injecting strategy.
Then they will explain to you their lip augmentation approach in a way that makes SENSE to you, including how their lip filler techniques MATCH what you’re aiming to accomplish.
Beware the vague injector who can’t explain their lip augmentation injecting strategies and the products they are using, including why they chose those specific products to be used as your lip filler solution.
Hallmarks of a Good Injector:
- A good injector knows the differences between different types of lip fillers.
- A good injector will be aware of the need for differences between the size of the top lip and bottom lip.
- Good lip augmentation is all about relative proportions, just as proportions are crucial in other facial beauty standards, for example, The Golden Ratio.
- A good injector will also select the right brand and product type for your specific needs.
- These days, there are numerous brands and product lines – an injector is a lot like a painter who has 100 different brushes from which they can choose to paint with.
- An Injector MUST know his or her lip filler products inside out, as well as how they tend to feel or respond once injected, before they choose what to use.
- A good injector will first ask about your medical history and any previous cosmetic injection treatments you experienced, as well as other factors that could influence your injecting experience, such as your healing capacity (be sure you live a healthy lifestyle with good nutrition).
- A good injector will also encourage you to aim for a modest enhancement and letting your first lip augmentation results settle a bit, before deciding it’s time for more.
Best Cosmetic Injecting Techniques for Ageing Lips or the Older Patient
Things that Good Injectors Look for Before Using Dermal Filler on the aged lip
- A good injector for an ageing lip knows to take a good medical history and to ask about prior cosmetic surgery and active at-home skin care regimes.
- If you’ve found a good inspector, they will assess your face for any pre-existing asymmetry from conditions that may make changes to facial muscles, like Bell’s Palsy. When possible, they will work to correct the asymmetries using the best lip-filler techniques and anti-wrinkle solutions.
- A good injector will assess the fine lines above the lip and work to reduce those by adding volume to both the upper and lower lip.
- Good injectors should evaluate the marionette lines between the edges of your nostrils and the corners of your mouth. Then, they’ll suggest a solution, if there is one and if the patient seems interested in further rejuvenation.
Things a Good Injector will Know or Suggest:
- A good injector knows that for the aged lip, lip volume replacement and lip augmentation is more important than the bow. An overly enhancing aged lip with a cupid-type bow might not be as appealing as it might be on a younger face – with a few exceptions, of course.
- A good injector for lip filler of an ageing lip on an older patient will also know what else to recommend to correct for asymmetry or smile deformities, such as when the corners of the lip turn downward even when the person is happy.
- A good injector is likely to gently suggest additional treatments that may enhance facial rejuvenation and lip augmentation results for older patients; but they will be honest and respectful.
- Most clients want to look younger and fresher and welcome suggestions.
- However, few clients actually want to hear about the wrinkles and lines they haven’t yet noticed but which can be reduced using skin treatments or other best-practice cosmetic injecting techniques and rejuvenation strategies.
- This might include skin lasers, skin peels or even a face lift or neck lift procedure).
- A good injector will be able to answer questions about the latest injection treatments, including Skin Booster Injections and other collagen-revitalisers, the Mona Lisa Vaginal Touch Laser, and the Double-Chin Injection Treatments to reduce under-chin fat to improve or restore a firmer jaw line appearance.
The Perfect Lip Shape: Ideals and Techniques for Lip Augmentation Injections
Every culture – every generation – has ideals for what they consider attractive in terms of appearance. But certain aspects of aesthetic appreciation don’t seem to change much over the years. One of these ideals is the aesthetic preference for fuller looking lips over thin lips. Attractive lip proportions have even been shown to increase attractiveness perceptions, according to research studies of lip shape preferences.
Ideal Lip Shapes Driving Injecting Techniques and Cosmetic Injection Facial Augmentation Strategies
- full lips rather than thin lips are more appealing
- nicely shaped lips that are generally horizontally symmetrical (relatively even on the left and right sides versus uneven or lop-sided)are
- generation after generation have appreciated attractive smiles with fuller lips; but only recently has non-surgical lip augmentation been an option
No one has yet made thin lips trendy – but it COULD happen…
It’s just highly unlikely unless a celebrity with thin lips and a huge following becomes incredibly popular all of the sudden.
Theoretically Aesthetically “Perfect” Lip Shapes
First, there’s never such thing as perfect or ONE SIZE FITS ALL when it comes to augmentation.
- No cosmetic treatment can achieve perfection.
- Aesthetic improvements, perhaps, when done well; perfection, never.
All concepts of beauty are in the eye of the beholder, as the cliche goes. But studies show there are actually shared ideals about what people think looks best in terms of lip size or lip shapes. And this crosses many cultures and generations.
The thing is, that there are different lip shapes and different injection techniques for lip filler.
Lips need to be balanced with other features of the face.
Anatomy is as important in the best lip filler techniques as what the lips look like
BECAUSE it’s not just the lips that need to look attractive; it’s how the changes MADE to the lips either ENHANCE – or TAKE AWAY FROM – other features of the face.
Overly large lips can ruin an otherwise attractive face.
So don’t go overboard with lip filler!
There is, however, a theoretical ‘perfect lip shape‘ (or preferred lip shapes) that people seem to gravitate towards.
And widely-preferred lip proportions is just what some Scientists decided to RESEARCH in regards to what people generally consider to be the ‘perfect lip shape’ or ideal lip augmentation dimensions.
In search of a “universally applicable ideal upper to lower lip ratio”: Research findings on appealing lip shapes show more consistency than many people thought they would; and the latest lip filler injection trends are for more moderate enhancements of the upper and/or lower lips (typically both, but not the same amounts in each lip). Again, however, this varies according to the needs of the patient and their desires for lip augmentation.
Lip Shape Research: Cosmetic Preferences and Lip Filler Ideals
- Aesthetic preferences and beauty ideals have been measured by scientific studies.
- Certain facial features remain preferred equally by different cultures.
- Regional variances can and do occur, but not to the degree you might expect.
- Fuller lips in either a very balanced 1:1 proportion between the upper and lower lip, or a slightly larger lower lip, were the most preferred lip proportions, but thin lips rarely rate.
- According to studies, people spend more time looking at mouths than most other facial features (other than the eyes).
From a UK Manchester University Study involving Psychologist Geoff Beattie described in the Courier Mail: “Scientists found that in the 10 seconds after meeting a woman for the first time, the average chap will spend more than half his time gazing at her mouth.”
So what makes a lip shape seem perfectly proportioned?
Some general lip shapes created with lip fillers that you may be familiar with include:
- The Hollywood Lip with emphasis on the Cupid’s Bow area
- The full upper and lower lip (even) – a 1:1 harmony in size
- The more pronounced lower lip (protruding and/or being larger than the upper lip)
- The larger upper lip (not necessarily natural although may look okay on some individuals)
When it comes to lip shape preferences, it’s not just the eye of the beholder – it’s how the lips look on the face.
- But so much of our culture is focused on the aesthetics of what we look like (and our fashion and food presentation tastes) that denying we have visual preferences for nearly everything is denying basic human nature.
- But remember, ideal lip shape preferences are not shared by every single person on the planet.
- Nor will one shape or cupid’s bow filler injection technique look great on nearly everyone.
But you and your Cosmetic Injector MAY be able to use these types of lip preferences to guide your lip augmentation injecting strategies to attain fuller-looking, more shapely lips.
Great lips give you a more defined or sultry-looking smile; and fuller lips can also give a more youthful appearance.
Is there really an ideal lip shape or commonly shared preference?
- Certainly there is individualism in what lip shapes and aesthetic feature balances a person prefers.
- But most people report being attracted to (or attracted by) lips that have some volume to them; that looks natural, soft and ‘inviting’ or kind. This means a full lower lip, possibly an equally full or nearly full upper lip (although 1/3 to 50% lip height on the upper can also look good), and for some women, a more defined Cupid’s Bow (the slightly v shaped area of the lip in the midline, below the nostrils).
- Whereas thin lips may leave some individuals looking angry, stressed or withdrawn.
But the overwhelming goal of cosmetic treatments seems to be improved balance and facial and lip symmetry, even though it will never be ‘perfect’ (humans, by nature, simply aren’t capable of perfection).
But there is are some ideal lip shapes that some consider the “perfect lip shape” or ideal lip proportions, that lead some women and men to ask for lip filler injections.
What the preferred Lip Shape research study showed:
- That over 60% preferred a similarly sized, nicely volumised but not overly filled, lip shape.
- That the second highest rating for lip shape was a slightly fuller lower lip, but both lips with ample volume (yet not so much it looked puffy or over-volumised).
Nearly 6 in 10 research study participants preferred lower and upper lips that were nearly equal in volume; and other preferred a slightly larger lower vs upper lip (which is what most people are born with; although these are not always in well-balanced proportions).
- But before you pick a lip shape of lip volume to aim for with lip augmentation via filler injections or a lip lift procedure, know that NOT all lip shapes SUIT ALL FACES.
- Different facial structures may look better with one lip shape over another.
Every face is so unique there’s really NEVER an ideal, perfect lip shape that will suit every single patient.
Going overboard with lip filler can leave you looking less than perfect. In fact, absolutely freakish is a ‘thing’ when it comes to overfilled lips (read how to avoid lip filler disasters).
Find out what the PREFERRED “IDEAL” LIP SHAPE RESEARCH SHOWED by visiting:
Read our blog on AVOIDING lip filler disasters or scroll down to see more information on lip filler and non-surgical lip augmentation.
Best Lip Filler Techniques for Lip Augmentation
How do Cosmetic Injectors augment and reshape lips with dermal fillers?
- There are many unique variances to lip shaping that injectors learn to use for improving the shape of the lips.
- We’d say ‘perfecting the lip shape through injections’. But there’s really no such thing as a perfect shape or a perfect lip shape result. The fact is, that all lips and all human faces are very unique.
- Lip shape changes can improve the size/volume, cupids bow, symmetry. They can also improve relative proportions of the upper and lower lips (one or both). However, perfection of any sort is impossible – so keep your expectations realistic.
- Typically the volume will be adjusted across the upper lip and lower lip (and there may be potential bruising at the injecting points)
Lip Volumisation Techniques for Injectors: Injecting Methods
- Injecting methods vary between Clinicians.
- There are, however, some general guidelines. The more training and experience your Cosmetic Injector has, the better your results are likely to be.
- One of the biggest decisions in lip augmentation is WHAT lip filler to use. There are many brands of differing consistencies to help your Cosmetic Injector augment your face. At Coco Ruby, we have a wide range of fillers to choose from. These fillers will get you a suitable feel and shape to meet your lip shaping preferences.
Typically, thin cannulas (or needles) are used to inject the lips with a soft-feeling dermal filler.
- The type, brand and consistency of the dermal filler is chosen by your Injector. This is based on your lips and your stated ideals.
- How much lip filler is required may change. It will also potentially impact your lip volume, lip filler duration, bruising risks, and the feeling of your lips.
- Fake feeling lip augmentation may result from two factors: cheap filler products, or too much filler in the wrong places.
- Read the risks of COUNTERFEIT DERMAL FILLER or “FAKE” COSMETIC INJECTION SOLUTIONS.
FAQ: Does it feel natural? Or does it feel more firm than natural?
Variances in types of lip filler leave patients with a different ‘feel‘. Some injectables or cheap product lines might not feel as natural. They may not last as long as better quality lip filler solutions, either.
Methods: shape the lips or volumise the vermilion, define the cupid’s bow or even out the lips with dermal fillers.
- Lip augmentation via lip filler involves reshaping and/or enlargement of the visible portion of the lip (the vermilion).
- Shaping the Cupid’s Bow (enhancing the “V-shape” of the upper mid line) is also possible with cosmetic injections. It depends on what you’re starting with and how much filler can be used.
- The relationship between the vermilion and the area beneath the nasal columella can be adjusted with cosmetic injections. An upper lip lift surgery procedure can correct it, as well.
Injectors also need to consider the harmonisation of their efforts. In this regard, the relationship between lip height and incisor is important. This can be done during analysis of the facial anatomy before injecting, to evaluate possible maxillary hypoplasia and protrusion. The patient’s occlusion status is also evaluated. The more well-planned the injecting strategy and facial balancing aesthetics, the more pleasing the result is likely to be.
Want injections to enhance your lips?
Phone (03) 8849 1400 and ask for an appointment with our Cosmetic Physician to begin assessing potential suitability for your facial and lip injecting treatments to enhance your lip size, shape or relative proportions.
Disclaimer: Results can vary from patient to patient. Lip fillers used at this clinic are high quality. However, they are temporary in nature (we discourage any use of permanent facial filler products). Be sure you understand the risks of dermal fillers including lip fillers, potential bruising and other complications, before you proceed. You will need to sign a consent before treatment and have an assessment for suitability by a Cosmetic Physician. Don’t simply get a cosmetic lip augmentation because everyone else is doing it . These are serious treatments involving Schedule 4 pharmaceutical substances. Successful treatments require your understanding of the process, potential risks and complications, recommended lip injection healing protocols and recovery times. Find out more by meeting with the Coco Ruby Team of Injecting Clinicians.
Further reading about Lip Fillers:
- Lip Injections & Facial Filler After Care Guide
- The Ugly Truth About Fake Injectables: Medical Dangers from Counterfeit Products
- Preparing for Facial Injectables or a Top-Up? 3 Things You Should DO first.
- Lip Filler Injections & Dermal Fillers: Tips for Looking Your Best Without Surgery
- Lip Filler Disasters: How to Avoid Going Overboard
Meet with our top Melbourne injectors for your lip augmentation needs. We use quality brand fillers in a way that leaves you with a natural-looking, beautifully augmented lip augmentation. Phone us on (03) 8849 1400 and ask for Sandra today for more information. Appointments available in Hawthorn East with plenty of parking.